New Contributor
omgitsphilly

Re: Rebuilding Credit i got 2 secure cards did i do the right thing?

Thanks I  have been actually coming to these forums for about 2 months now. I just recently decided to post. I will keep my slate clean and keep adding charges and paying them up. I actually have  a cousin that works for Chase at our local city. Hes VP of Loan Officers. SO hes helping and guiding me through things. I hope he can help me get a Chase Freedom card one day soon.  Yes my AAoA isnt much. I want to change that. @ nicholas. No i don't have any good standing accounts as of yet. Just the first Cap1 secure card and it hasnt been more than 7 months. no student loans nor auto loans. 

Senior Contributor
Wolf3

omgitsphilly wrote:

Good Afternoon 

New to the boards

I have been a credit freak for the past 5-6 months, because before my credit wasnt that great. I believe i started at 580. I heard about Capital One Secured card about 5 months ago. I have been buying minimal stuff here and there. Been paying it off monthly. My score jumped up to about a 640. I had some bad accounts on there for past years. 6-8 years ago. I removed them and now my score jumps to 720. I was shocked. Well here is what i did. Fear of getting rejected for a Chase Freedom Card. I stupidly went back to capital one for another secure card. I kinda regret it because well its a secure card. My question is did i mess it up by getting another secure card? I should have apped for an unsecure card. I know that C1 don't graduate you. Did i do the right thing in my situation because im rebuilding credit?

Btw my scores across the board now are

Trans 702 ( because of new Cap1 Secure Card Hit )

Exp 669

EQ 661

My goal is 750+ across the boards. 

It is an OK move.  If you are interested in bigger CL in the future, I suggest you add to the deposit of 1 of the cards to get a nice sized limit ( It may help).

The Capital One cards do not unsecure, but they help you get a good card from Capital One.   You probably have to close one of them to apply for an unsecured card with them.    I would wait another six months or more before applying.

New Contributor
omgitsphilly

Would it help if i just move past Cap1 for now. Once i help my score more. I want to apply for a better unsecure card with Chase or somewhere else. In the future close one of the Cap1 Sec cards for their Unsecure card, but for now im ok with those 2 cards with Cap1.  Thoughts?

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+