cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding Credit, need advice for a new CC...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding Credit, need advice for a new CC...

OK, screwed up on over 50K of debt-paid it off but not to my beneifit. Closed and paid 6 CCards, but did nothing for my FICO. Now I am starting new with a WaMu card, small $1,500 limit at 9.9% bought $700 and already paid it off... Realizing I need credit to build credit I am looking for a second CCard-and want a Chase-but fear I will not be able to get one considering my Credit History. TransUnion 673 Date: 7/28/2008 Equifax 607 Date: 7/28/2008 Experian 703 Date: 7/28/2008 These are my scores and I feel being turned down will make my scores worse. Dose anyone use (Edited Link) they seem to break down cards and credit history. curious... Thanks, K-Man

Message Edited by WhirledPeasPlease on 08-02-2008 08:58 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding Credit, need advice for a new CC...

You seem to be in a similar situation to me, though I don't know your length of credit history and average age of accounts.

First, you seem to have PIF all CCs, even though bad/CO. Ask nicely for reinstatement, you may be surprised.

Second, look into CUs, they are very friendly most of the time. Also Home Depot is great with an initial $4k CL. This is only for new accounts obviously. It would be much better to get the older original accounts reinstated.
Message 2 of 7
jbh
Established Contributor

I would think you could get a basic Amex or CITI so long as you don't have collections/etc. The scores are actually not terrible. I would look for EX/TU heavy cards (meaning card companies that pull those credit agencies) or at least search this site

WGMC (Edited)

What it does is it allows you to search which cards gave 'yes' or 'no' verdicts based on people's ficos and income. You'll learn a LOT in no time. I live there Smiley Wink

PS. For an unsecured card that is more 'rebuild' focused, try hooters as well. Seriously. They pull TU if I recall correctly. That said, do the research on those companies by searching their name and see what people have experienced. You might be surprised.

Message Edited by jbh on 08-02-2008 05:45 PM

Message Edited by WhirledPeasPlease on 08-02-2008 08:58 PM
Message 3 of 7
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

I have edited a couple of the above posts.  Please be reminded that links to sites which may contain information that violates our T&C cannot be posted.

Thanks!

Here's Barry's reminder.  Please ask if you have any questions.

-Peas

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm fairly new to this site and have been searching exhaustively for some advice on rebuilding my credit.  I have recently paid off 2 major outstanding debts. One was with capital One and the other was with DFAS (anyone in the military or with previous service would know about the DFAS) as of 6/1/8.  Other than those two I have consolidated all my student loans into one ; a $21k student loan (current and in good standing) but the old collage foundation info still shows as negative remarks on my CR. Outside of this I have no other outstanding debt and no CC's. My past credit history still shows 3 other negative remarks that I am disputing to get removed from my CR as they are outdated or was PIF to be removed and just never have been.

My dilemma is this; I have scores of 547 TU, 557 EP (as of 7/31)and EX I haven't updated yet but last score as of 4/1/8 was 507.  I know I need to have credit to build it but I'm afraid of applying just to get turned down and have another inquiry on my CR.  What are good if not great starter CC's for someone in my situation? I hear from most here in the forum that Orchard is good, but they don't like to do increases. Need some advise...Smiley Indifferent

MissAnn

Message 5 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

we can't post wgmc link anymore? since when?
Message 6 of 7
WhirledPeasPlease
Moderator Emeritus

Creditaddict wrote:
we can't post wgmc link anymore? since when?

Since they started a forum.  Smiley Happy
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
From 700 in 2008 to 498 in 2012...
4/23/12 -- BK 13 date of filing EQ = 505
4/18/12 -- EQ 498
12/5/13 -- EQ 669
Here we go.... back on track.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.