cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding, IRS Tax Lien, getting personal loan...

tag
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Rebuilding, IRS Tax Lien, getting personal loan...

@Anonymous wrote:

just got an alert that TU just showed the lien as paid. Like i said I'm going to wait a little before app to any CCs. But i have tried the pre-qualify tool at the companies i would like to get cards from and i had offers from all but AMEX, i prequalified for Chase, Discover, Cap1, BoA...

If the IRS is issuing a withdrawal, insist that the CRAs all drop the item from your reports.  A paid lien is better than an unpaid one, but it's better if they don't show up at all.

I had to insist through repeated phone calls and escalations with one of the bureaus (can't remember which ... Equifax maybe?) that they were legally required to delete the lien from my reports once the IRS withdrew it.  I don't know if that's actually true, but that's what I told them.  They kept telling me, even after I faxed the official notice of withdrawal to them, that they couldn't do anything about it.  It wasn't until I went through the CFPB that they finally deleted it.

FWIW, my lien was pretty old, and I only saw a 5-point increase from the removal.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Rebuilding, IRS Tax Lien, getting personal loan...

@JayTee1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

just got an alert that TU just showed the lien as paid. Like i said I'm going to wait a little before app to any CCs. But i have tried the pre-qualify tool at the companies i would like to get cards from and i had offers from all but AMEX, i prequalified for Chase, Discover, Cap1, BoA...

If the IRS is issuing a withdrawal, insist that the CRAs all drop the item from your reports.  A paid lien is better than an unpaid one, but it's better if they don't show up at all.

I had to insist through repeated phone calls and escalations with one of the bureaus (can't remember which ... Equifax maybe?) that they were legally required to delete the lien from my reports once the IRS withdrew it.  I don't know if that's actually true, but that's what I told them.  They kept telling me, even after I faxed the official notice of withdrawal to them, that they couldn't do anything about it.  It wasn't until I went through the CFPB that they finally deleted it.

FWIW, my lien was pretty old, and I only saw a 5-point increase from the removal.

How fast was the lien removed from the CRAs? Did Equifax take more than 2 months? I only ask because I have never had to dispute anything with any of the CRA's. How fast are they to resolve issues in general?

Message 12 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.