jcwang

Rebuilding: best secured card for it?

Hey all, I've done a search for this topic and haven't really found any concrete answers to my question so I will lay it out for everyone. I have been actively trying to rebuild my credit for reasons beyond just good financial standing. Within the next year I plan on starting my own business and feel my poor credit may negatively effect that endeavor. On the same token, I work in finance and feel my poor credit standing could hold me back from getting a new job if I decide not to start my own business.

I have been without any sort of revolving credit for 2-3 years now and the only major installment tradelines on my CR are my student loans; still in deferrment. I recently tried to purchase a car a few months back and was notified my scores were in the mid-500's and would command a 24% interest rate. Sufficite to say, I did not purchase the car. In any case, I have been researching secured cards for a bit now, just wanted to get everyones opinion.

I have narrowed it down to three cards: Wells Fargo Secured Visa (I work for them so with some luck and good habit, I may be able to have that converted into an employee card/$18 AF), Citi Secured Mastercard ($29 AF), or the HSBC Secured Mastercard ($35 AF). I am not considering the B of A secured option because they purchased FIA Card Services, whom I was delinquent with and that could impact whether I am approved. I also wanted to know whether I should devote $1000 to one card, or $500 to two cards...I understand the concept of revolving usage and multiple tradelines and want to be able to maximize the potential of raising my scores as quickly as possible. I plan to use these for small expenses; gas, lunch, etc and plan to PIF every month. Please help me shed some light; I feel quite embarassed since I am in essence a finance professional, but have had such oversight and poor performance with my own personal finance. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

Valued Contributor
John060675

Re: Rebuilding: best secured card for it?

I have had good luck with the WF secured CC.  They have been very nice, and I have not experienced any problems. 

Concerning whether to get 1 CC with a $1,000 CL or 2 with a $5.00 CL, I would probably choose the 1 with $1,000.  Keeping a low utilization on a CC with a higher CL will show more responsibility, and future lenders will be more willing to go over $1,000 CL if you already have one there.  If you have a couple CC with $500 CL, then lenders might try to keep you are that limit on future applications.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}