New Contributor

Receieved pre-approval for Blue Sky (amex). 30,000 pts/$500

Good morning everyone, hope you all had a nice Christmas...

I came back from vacation last night with a pre-approval from AMEX for a Blue Sky card.  The letter says i would get the 17.24% APR which looks to be the lowest option for that card right now.  At first I wasnt too impressed and immediately was going to throw this away because I read that spending 7500 (7500pts) would only get me $100.  My capital one quick silver beats that by 12 bucks, not much, but why app when I already am doing better.  But then I saw the bonus points offer.  Spend 500 in 3 months, get 30,000 bonus points (worth 400).  Now as I read this, this isnt a check or statement credit in general, the wording says statement credit towards airline tickets, hotels, cruises, etc.  Which is fine, I just want to make sure I am reading it correctly.  I am getting married in October so I can spend 500 anyday as we have numerous vendors that we still owe payments too.  And I was thinking maybe the 400 that can go to flights, cruises, etc can now be used towards whatever we decide to do for the honeymoon.  I just am looking for some guidance as far as if i was reading that correct.  Can the 400 bonus be used as a credit to pay the card, or does that have to be used in like a money mall or something of AMEX to buy those items.  I do not have an AMEX yet so I am unfamilar.... which is also a reason why I may want to apply for this offer so I can lock in the "2013" member date.   Just looking for some inputs... Thanks everyone.

And for those wondering, my FICO last month was around 760 something.  I think 766. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Receieved pre-approval for Blue Sky (amex). 30,000 pts/$500

You can apply the points towards a travel purchase redeemable by a statement credit. I believe you have 90 days to apply it to a particular travel purchase.
BOA Better Rewards | Citi Forward | Chase Freedom | Discover IT | Amex BlueSky | Chase IHG | Sallie Mae | Chase CSP | Barclays Rewards | Banana Republic Visa

Regular Contributor

By 90 days I meant you only have a 90 day Window to apply your points to a particular travel purchase. Points do not expire!
BOA Better Rewards | Citi Forward | Chase Freedom | Discover IT | Amex BlueSky | Chase IHG | Sallie Mae | Chase CSP | Barclays Rewards | Banana Republic Visa

Established Member

Exactly.  I got this card in October, charged the 500 in first month, bought two airline tickets, and has the $400 credited to my account.  It's a pretty good travel card; 1.33 points per dollar, applicable to ANY travel expenses (not tied down to one airline or program).  Glad I got it, will use it enough to get $100 to $200 credit per year.

Divorce. 9 years of Gardening. RESET BUTTON. December 2012; Chase Freedom(5.3), Citi Double Cash 4.3). Citi Thank You Preferred(7.5K). January 2013; DCU Platinum Rewards(10K), REI Visa(5K). November 2013, Amex Blue Sky(5K), Amex Blue Cash Preferred (18.9K), Crate & Barrel (2.5K)
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.