Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Contributor
0 Kudos

Received AMEX denial letter

I applied for the AMEX delta gold a couple of weeks ago and was instantly denied. I called for a recon and was told I would have to wait for the letter for an explanation.

Well, here's what it said:

"My fico score- Experian 647 is too low."

"My debt with other creditors relative to the available credit as indicated by Experian"

"The length of time you have been a customer with AMEX is too short"

"The number of creditors who have reviewed your credit report"

OK, my situation is, all credit cards are paid off, with one reporting 9% balance. I have about $20000 in student loans, but they are current and in good standing. I have no other debt besides a consolidation loan, which is not reporting. So, how could AMEX say my debt is too high?

I was an AU on an AMEX gold since 2005, but I have had my Zync on my own for 10 months. Is 10 months not long enough?

I only have 3 hp inquiries in the last 12 months, about 6 in the last 2 years. Is that still too many?

My final question is, should I write a letter and dispute, or is there no point?

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Received AMEX denial letter

shasta wrote:

I applied for the AMEX delta gold a couple of weeks ago and was instantly denied. I called for a recon and was told I would have to wait for the letter for an explanation.

Well, here's what it said:

"My fico score- Experian 647 is too low."

"My debt with other creditors relative to the available credit as indicated by Experian"

"The length of time you have been a customer with AMEX is too short"

"The number of creditors who have reviewed your credit report"

OK, my situation is, all credit cards are paid off, with one reporting 9% balance. I have about $20000 in student loans, but they are current and in good standing. I have no other debt besides a consolidation loan, which is not reporting. So, how could AMEX say my debt is too high?

I was an AU on an AMEX gold since 2005, but I have had my Zync on my own for 10 months. Is 10 months not long enough?

I only have 3 hp inquiries in the last 12 months, about 6 in the last 2 years. Is that still too many?

My final question is, should I write a letter and dispute, or is there no point?

Sorry to hear about your denial but from what i have read here its hard to recon with AMEX. The good thing is that it was only a SP since you are already a member. You dont any other CC other than AMEX? Maybe they wanna see at least a year of credit (and to them AU doesnt factor much into that).

gardening since 5/21/2016
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd say a recon letter wouldn't serve you well as your FICO is too low.
Get it to at least 680, then re try:-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

20000 could be a lot depending on the income you put down. Student loans are debt too.

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
I'd say a recon letter wouldn't serve you well as your FICO is too low.
Get it to at least 680, then re try:-)

+1....I just reliazed that his score probably play a big factor also. I got denied back in August with a 673 EX score. You may wanna try for one of their regular charge cards first since those seem easier to get next time you try.

Contributor
0 Kudos

Income is around 24k

I have a cap one cc with 750 limit/ 65 balance

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

shasta wrote:

Income is around 24k

I have a cap one cc with 750 limit/ 65 balance

As i see it not much of revolving credit then. You may wanna try one of their charge (green) cards next time. Those seem easier to get. Plus like it was said, 640's is too low for Amex (especially for their revolver cards).

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

You can try a recon but I don't think it'll happen until that FICO is north of 680.

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Low income and the credit score got you for sure. Work to a 680-700 like previously stated and give it another go.

EQ 733 3/3/13 GOAL: 800 Merrill Lynch Merrill+ $12,500 | AMEX BCE 6K | AMEX PRG NPSL | CSP 6K | Freedom 5K | Discover IT 5K | HVFCU 10K | American Eagle Visa 5K | Citi Thank You Preferred 6,100

In the garden since 4/22/13 | Hating on Capital One since '09
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

I had $36k in student loans and 696 TU FICO when approved for bce but a nearly six year old revolving history.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.