cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Chase Sapphire in the mail today!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received Chase Sapphire in mail today!

@TheCreditKid wrote:

@simonlarano wrote:

Hurrah! Congrats to you. I know I would not have been able to handle all that credit worthiness while I was still at school. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks,

It's a big responsibility, so far I'm handling it well.

Yes, I can see that!    You are doing so well.    I'm very proud of you kid!

I have a daughter, who is 20 yrs and 5 mos old, and she is telling me that she doesn't need any cc until she graduate from college and obtain a job.   So, I've been talking to her about piggy back on my ccs.  And she is still unsure about become an AU on my ccs.   Moreover, she is already on some of my ccs but she doesn't know it. 

The other day, she told me that she is getting the pre-approved cc offers in the mail.  I may be a bad mother ~ I pretended as I don't know it.  Most likely, her father may guessed why she is getting all that.  *I'm divorced and my daughter was raised by her father since 2004.   She also told me that her father said she doesn't need any cc right now ... I guess she has been talking to father about our conversation.

Anyway, I am hoping my daughter is able to get some reasonable cc when she reach 21 next yr ~ may be NFCU?  Amex?  Discover?  

Message 11 of 26
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TheCreditKid wrote:

@simonlarano wrote:

Hurrah! Congrats to you. I know I would not have been able to handle all that credit worthiness while I was still at school. Smiley Very Happy

Thanks,

It's a big responsibility, so far I'm handling it well.

Yes, I can see that!    You are doing so well.    I'm very proud of you kid!

I have a daughter, who is 20 yrs and 5 mos old, and she is telling me that she doesn't need any cc until she graduate from college and obtain a job.   So, I've been talking to her about piggy back on my ccs.  And she is still unsure about become an AU on my ccs.   Moreover, she is already on some of my ccs but she doesn't know it. 

The other day, she told me that she is getting the pre-approved cc offers in the mail.  I may be a bad mother ~ I pretended as I don't know it.  Most likely, her father may guessed why she is getting all that.  *I'm divorced and my daughter was raised by her father since 2004.   She also told me that her father said she doesn't need any cc right now ... I guess she has been talking to father about our conversation.

Anyway, I am hoping my daughter is able to get some reasonable cc when she reach 21 next yr ~ may be NFCU?  Amex?  Discover?  

Wow! She's exactly like my *Ahem my GF who doesn't believe in CC for a while. Luckily, after years of convincing ,she finally applied for one and got approved for a Visa CC from BofA.

IMO Discover is a really great card for students. They tend to start out with decent CL ($1000),approval rate is pretty good among 4 + Year University Students, no annual fee and competitive rewards Smiley Happy

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All human wisdom is summed up in two words - wait and hope.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 12 of 26
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Hey bunnyrabbit, 

First I'd like to commend you for taking such a proactive (albeit secretive) approach to bettering your daughter's credit profile for the future. If only more parents were as knowledgeable about credit as you are, then maybe more young adults wouldn't be so blindly scared about credit as they are. Scared or uninformed, I'm not sure which is worse! Smiley Surprised

I'll be the first to admit that I was on that same boat while in college...most of the time I just assumed that my credit was shot/subpar because of all the student loans I had to attain to finance my college education. I also had preconceived notions that credit was bad, especially for a poor college kid trying to get by, and that any temptation of credit could overwhelm the wealth of responsibilities I now had as a young adult in college. However, by blind luck, I signed up for myFICO the week after my last final exam, a few weeks before commencement, and took my first giant leap towards becoming knowledgeable about my own credit outlook.

If I could give a suggestion, that you could remove the importance of recommendations from the parent, and put it towards well written articles (I'm sure there are some out there) about the necessity to build credit, and more importantly, the importance of developing a sense of responsibility towards credit. Understandably, with your daughter having to listen to differing opinions from her parents, it might be best to bring in a third party point of view. She can listen to someone or something else if she chooses to, and won't feel like she's choosing sides between her mother and father. 

College is supposed to be when young adults can finally be on our own and get a taste of the real world. So what's so wrong about learning about, and becoming aware of, how credit has a vital role in all of our lives. Show her print outs of these boards if you have to, let her see just one or two examples of young adults in her type of situation, real life examples work wonders in convincing a young adult about something.

After four years in college dodging the necessity to become aware about my credit profile, I am thankful that better late than never applied to my situation. If I could do it all over, I would have shunned the free t-shirt with credit card applications during the first weekend student fair of freshman year, and hopped onto myFICO. I would have been 18 then, and all of my CC's would have had 7 years of account history. Instead, I'm just thankful one of my older brothers added me as an AU on one of his AMEX accounts way back in 2001. By blind luck, the rest of my credit profile was better late than never! 

ImageImageImage

Message 13 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheCreditKid wrote:

I was approved for the Discover More as a student. Maybe sometime in the future I'll join a CU, as of now I have too many inquiries Smiley Happy.

Did they ask household Annual income?  or just your annual income?

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simonlarano wrote:

Hey bunnyrabbit, 

First I'd like to commend you for taking such a proactive (albeit secretive) approach to bettering your daughter's credit profile for the future. If only more parents were as knowledgeable about credit as you are, then maybe more young adults wouldn't be so blindly scared about credit as they are. Scared or uninformed, I'm not sure which is worse! Smiley Surprised         Thanks!   I'm trying to help her as much as I can without break my bank.

I'll be the first to admit that I was on that same boat while in college...most of the time I just assumed that my credit was shot/subpar because of all the student loans I had to attain to finance my college education. I also had preconceived notions that credit was bad, especially for a poor college kid trying to get by, and that any temptation of credit could overwhelm the wealth of responsibilities I now had as a young adult in college. However, by blind luck, I signed up for myFICO the week after my last final exam, a few weeks before commencement, and took my first giant leap towards becoming knowledgeable about my own credit outlook.    Well done!

If I could give a suggestion, that you could remove the importance of recommendations from the parent, and put it towards well written articles (I'm sure there are some out there) about the necessity to build credit, and more importantly, the importance of developing a sense of responsibility towards credit. Understandably, with your daughter having to listen to differing opinions from her parents, it might be best to bring in a third party point of view. She can listen to someone or something else if she chooses to, and won't feel like she's choosing sides between her mother and father.    Good Idea!

College is supposed to be when young adults can finally be on our own and get a taste of the real world. So what's so wrong about learning about, and becoming aware of, how credit has a vital role in all of our lives. Show her print outs of these boards if you have to, let her see just one or two examples of young adults in her type of situation, real life examples work wonders in convincing a young adult about something.

After four years in college dodging the necessity to become aware about my credit profile, I am thankful that better late than never applied to my situation. If I could do it all over, I would have shunned the free t-shirt with credit card applications during the first weekend student fair of freshman year, and hopped onto myFICO. I would have been 18 then, and all of my CC's would have had 7 years of account history. Instead, I'm just thankful one of my older brothers added me as an AU on one of his AMEX accounts way back in 2001. By blind luck, the rest of my credit profile was better late than never!    You are so lucky to have a brother like him!    

Message 15 of 26
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@TheCreditKid wrote:

I was approved for the Discover More as a student. Maybe sometime in the future I'll join a CU, as of now I have too many inquiries Smiley Happy.

Did they ask household Annual income?  or just your annual income?

I really don't remember...( it only has been 3 months.... short-term memory Smiley Sad), income related questions, yes.

Despite high or low income, it shouldn't matter because Discover knows student don't have much anyway.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

-Alexander Dumas
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks kid ~ I hope she will able to get 1k if she app for it.  *She is an AU on my Discover More.

Message 17 of 26
kc12286
Frequent Contributor

@TheCreditKid wrote:

Thanks Everyone!

Haha, sure I'll share my cards with forum members. Despite having too many cards for my age (21), I have a purpose behind it. That is to one day purchase my dream home once I finish school Smiley Happy .

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday- $2000

AMEX Zync- No Pre-Set

AMEX Accelerated Rewards BofA- $5000

BankAmericard Platinum Plus Visa BofA- $3000

Best Buy Store Card- $1700

Chase Sapphire Visa Signature- $5000

Citi Thank You Master Card- $3650

Discover More- $1000

How do you have a BB store card with $1700. I only have $800 and I've had it more than a year now.

Also do you like your Citi TY Mastercard and Discover More cards? I've been thinking of apping for these two in the next few weeks.

In the Garden Club since: 07/05/2017

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Message 18 of 26
TheCreditKid
Established Contributor

@kc12286 wrote:

@TheCreditKid wrote:

Thanks Everyone!

Haha, sure I'll share my cards with forum members. Despite having too many cards for my age (21), I have a purpose behind it. That is to one day purchase my dream home once I finish school Smiley Happy .

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday- $2000

AMEX Zync- No Pre-Set

AMEX Accelerated Rewards BofA- $5000

BankAmericard Platinum Plus Visa BofA- $3000

Best Buy Store Card- $1700

Chase Sapphire Visa Signature- $5000

Citi Thank You Master Card- $3650

Discover More- $1000

How do you have a BB store card with $1700. I only have $800 and I've had it more than a year now.

Also do you like your Citi TY Mastercard and Discover More cards? I've been thinking of apping for these two in the next few weeks.

For BB store card, you must hit the LUV button. I went from $700 to $1200 to $1700.

Citi TY Mastercard is ok...the rewards is not that competitive. Discover More is my primary card because of the rotating 5% cash back rewards.

-Alexander Dumas
Message 19 of 26
way2evil
New Contributor

Discover gave me 500 as a 4 year college student with only a joint account with 1k limit reporting from BoA. That was since increased to 2500, still waiting on Discover to increase, they wont do anything for at least 6 months and I am only a week or two away.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.