cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received Discover IT card today in the mail, pretty happy b/c they offered Cashback Match feature

tag
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Received Discover IT card today in the mail, pretty happy b/c they offered Cashback Match feature

I received my Discover IT card today in the mail which replaces my previous Discover More, and was pleasantly surprised when I opened the envelope and read the letter provided with the new card, that Discover is also offering me the Cashback Match feature for a year.  I thought that was very a nice and considerate gesture of them to do, since I first got the original Discover More card in 2006  Smiley Happy

ETA:  they also offered a new 12 mo. 0% BT promo, which was generous of them as well, although I already have a promo applied on the account and don't want the util to get too high, so I prolly won't use it, but it was certainly a very nice thought...

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Received Discover IT card today in the mail, pretty happy b/c they offered Cashback Match featur

I would not think of it as a nice gesture. Credit card companies will do whatever it takes to get consumers to spend more than they usually do. All these points and cash back chasing can be a subtle death trap for those who are unaware.

Message 2 of 7
galahad15
Valued Contributor

Re: Received Discover IT card today in the mail, pretty happy b/c they offered Cashback Match featur

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not think of it as a nice gesture. Credit card companies will do whatever it takes to get consumers to spend more than they usually do.

A very good and valid point (since up until now, I had largely been using the card for BT promos and a minimal recurring payment, and placing all of my major daily spend on my four 2% cashback cards...so now the Discover card will be getting more regular usage).

ETA:  I almost always PIF on my four 2% cashback cards btw, the only exception being Citi DC which is presently carrying an 18-mo. 0% BT promo, and sometimes I will occasionally keep a balance at the 6-mo. 0% promo rate on eligible $199+ purchases with Blispay.

Message 3 of 7
NichelleN
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I would not think of it as a nice gesture. Credit card companies will do whatever it takes to get consumers to spend more than they usually do. All these points and cash back chasing can be a subtle death trap for those who are unaware.

I can definitely see that. I love my Discover card and have a pretty decent cash back total so far. However, it's due to taking advantage of promos for things already on my purchase list. Before I make an online purchase, I check Discover Deals. Purchases from stores like Sephora and Ulta earn 5%. I bought a washer and dryer last year using the Discover / Apple pay promo. That earned quite a bit.

So, yes, be careful and don't change your spending patterns. Just check and see if there are any deals that you can take advantage of. I'm now anticipating more than $1.5K back at the end of the double cashback promo. woo hoo!

More than enough credit.
Message 4 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

This is one of those things where you want to take advantage of deals that you know will benefit you, and that you can go a long way with.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I concur...

Message 6 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

And sometimes it can be hard with the rotating categories. There's no doubt people overspend on dining or Amazon or whatever because of the 5 percent back. One really does have to be careful.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.