cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received an American Express green card pre-screened offer, should I apply?

tag
lithium78
Established Contributor

Received an American Express green card pre-screened offer, should I apply?

I just received a pre-screened offer for the Amex green card, but I don't know if I should apply.  I currently have four hard pulls on EX (which I know Amex uses.)  I have a bunch of defaulted loans from six years ago, which I refinanced and are due to fall off my report in November.  In terms of my revolving credit, I have one 30 day late from 2008 (from a mistake entering an online payment.  D'oh!)

I previously applied for Amex Green in March and I was denied.  I really would like an Amex, but I don't want to be denied again, plus I'm trying to keep my hard pulls to a minimum since I am planning to get a mortgage in a year.

Anybody have advice for me?  Thanks.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Received an American Express green card pre-screened offer, should I apply?

When you applied in March did you go thru the pre-selector or did you apply directly?

I say go for it!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 5
lithium78
Established Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

When you applied in March did you go thru the pre-selector or did you apply directly?

I say go for it!

I applied directly in March when I was denied.  My scores were quite a bit lower back then, so it wasn't well thought-out.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 5
chnceit
Valued Contributor

The only thing is that pre-selector does not constitue as approved. But if your current report doesnt have any lates and is cleaner than before IMO I say chnce it.

AMEX is being really nice this holiday season IMO. 

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 5
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@lithium78 wrote:

I just received a pre-screened offer for the Amex green card, but I don't know if I should apply.  I currently have four hard pulls on EX (which I know Amex uses.)  I have a bunch of defaulted loans from six years ago, which I refinanced and are due to fall off my report in November.  In terms of my revolving credit, I have one 30 day late from 2008 (from a mistake entering an online payment.  D'oh!)

I previously applied for Amex Green in March and I was denied.  I really would like an Amex, but I don't want to be denied again, plus I'm trying to keep my hard pulls to a minimum since I am planning to get a mortgage in a year.

Anybody have advice for me?  Thanks.

I got a pre-approved Zync offer in the mail and dismissed it how could a sub 650 score with a judgement and collections get a prime card so I shredded it. 

Now a month or so later I was reading about all the approvals, I checked there pre-approved cards for me at AMEX, and saw that they had 3,  the  Zync, Green and  Blue (not cash) cards, so I picked the blue card a revolver that is supposed to be a bit harder to get than a charge card and was approved. I was preparing my self for an instant denial or even 7-10 day for a decision, but no I was approved instantly, I have a 6 year old judgement and 3x collections for medical. No lates AAoA is 1year 3 months, oldest credit card is 2 years 7 months,  18% util,  Walmart TU FICO is 730, myfico score is 636.and 636 from credit karma, And I just app'd and was approved for Walmart (CL $900).Kingsize direct ($500 CL) and tigerdirect prefered credit ($4000 CL) in the last 60 days, and had 6x hard pulls. I was also declined for chase freedom and my credit union's platinum rewards card even with a 10 year relationship with them.  

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.