Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received an invitation to upgrade to Platinum Delta Skymiles

tag
cowboyguy
Regular Contributor

Received an invitation to upgrade to Platinum Delta Skymiles

Is it worth it? I have the Gold Delta since about 7 months. The offer says there'll be an increase of $60 in the AF (i.e. the total fee will be $150) and I'll be getting 5000 bonus miles and 5000 MQMs after my first purchase. There's also an additional bonus of 20,000 MQMs after $50k annual spending but I won't reach there. There's also a companion ticket with Platinum

1) Will this upgrade result in a HP?

2) Are the bonus points and perks worth the AF?

3) How on earth does a companion ticket works?

Walmart Discover $10,000... Chase SW $8,500... Freedom $7,000... CSP $6,000... Amex Delta $3,000... Amex BCP $2,000... Local CU $1,500...
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

Re: Received an invitation to upgrade to Platinum Delta Skymiles

Considering you won't reach the 50k bonus threshold, I'd stick with the DELTA Gold because the rewards/perks are roughly the same.
As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 2 of 10
gstq34
Contributor

I got the same offer and my account is VERY new.  My initial 30,000 miles has not even rolled.   It does not mention a new HP and Amex is good about soft updates.  I am waiting because my initial offer has not posted.  Then I will look at it.  $50,000 is a lot to spend, I have never used a companion ticket, I hope someone chimes in on that.

Starting Score: 573
Current Score: 764 EX (FAKO)
Goal Score: 760 all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 10
HiLine
Blogger

The companion ticket is for a round-trip right? It should be more valuable than a $150 annual fee don't you think? 

Message 4 of 10
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

The companion ticket is for a round-trip right? It should be more valuable than a $150 annual fee don't you think? 

The Delta Amex Plat companion ticket is an economy roundtrip ticket within the continental US. I believe the eligible fares are L, U, and T. You (the cardholder) must be booked on the same ticket as the person traveling on the companion ticket.

The companion ticket does make up for the AF, as long as you use it (obviously). If you're not a Delta medallion, and don't plan to do signifigant flying from now til the end of the year, the MQMs aren't really going to help you much. You do get a free checked bag for you and each person traveling in your party (so if you have 3 or 4 people, you've made up for the annual fee), as well as zone 1 boarding (not sky priority, fyi).

Whether this card is worth it, really depends on much YOU value the perks, and how much travelling you do, or intend to do.

Message 5 of 10
Cageym
Established Contributor

I get these offers but it really isn't worth it to me. I'll never make the spend and I get what I want out of the Gold, which is the free checked baggage. I don't usually fly economy since I'm 6'1" and about 250 having to get an aisle seat and lean out into the aisle so my shoulders don't push the person next to me over just isn't sorth it to me. Smiley LOL

What's in my wallet: Cap1 Venture NFCU Sig Visa Delta Gold Amex BCE Citi Simplicity IHG World MC Amazon Visa CSP
Starting Score: 5/2010 550-ish
Current Score: 6/20/2013 TU 800 6/20/2013 EQ 770 6/20/2013 EX 775
Goal Score: 800 accross the board
Message 6 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Yeah I got this offer too. I think the extra $60 is worth it for the companion ticket alone. I won't upgrade now, but I will do it later when I am actually able to use it!  The bonus miles are also worth the $60 fee too.  If the Gold came with the companion ticket then I would be happy with it.  I figure even if I took one flight a year and took a companion with me, then the overall fee is certainly worth it! 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 7 of 10
Ailee92

Hell no, there's a reason why Delta Skymiles are called Skypesos online, they're the most useless points on the market by far. I would value each point at less than 0.5 cents a piece at best. They advertise 30k points to Asia but I could never find 1 flight 360 days in advance (max) for under 190k points. Even Opera's bestfriend on the show was talking to the CEO saying why are the points so damn hard to use?  CEO "we're working on it"

Message 8 of 10
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@Ailee92 wrote:

Hell no, there's a reason why Delta Skymiles are called Skypesos online, they're the most useless points on the market by far. I would value each point at less than 0.5 cents a piece at best. They advertise 30k points to Asia but I could never find 1 flight 360 days in advance (max) for under 190k points. Even Opera's bestfriend on the show was talking to the CEO saying why are the points so damn hard to use?  CEO "we're working on it"

Well if we bank them now we might be able to get a lot later when they become usable.  I actually did look over a flight I wanted and did have a hard time finding one that was realistic.  I figured that since it was so close to departure that it was the reason.  I should have realized right afterward that the United miles that I have were much more usable, since I decided to see if I could use my points there for the same trip.  I actually could quite easily and it wasn't that many.  Too bad United has such crappy service.  Maybe it is better to settle for the crappy service and get the better options.  I will have to consider this while I am in the garden and mulling over a United card instead.

I have a feeling that the companion ticket is more valuable than the miles.  If I app next year for the United card, I could simply PC my Delta card to the BCE?

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 10
RSCo
Established Contributor

I believe you will not be able to upgrade even tho you received the offer to do so.  I believe the credit card act prohibits the upgrade of a CC held less than 13 months where the card holder will be charged a higher annual fee than the card they are upgrading from. 

Is your card "back dated" to a date that reflects it's aged greater than 13 months? If so, this may be why one AMEX system is making you this offer, while another system they have prevents you from upgrading because it's too new ( less than 13mths since opened )

This is happening to me. I opened my Delta Gold back in Feb of this year and it has a back dated member date of 1998. I've received the same offer, and the offer is also being made to me online within my account. When I attempt to upgrade I get a message saying the card is not eligible and to call their 800 for further support.  I did some research and discovered the credit card act prohibits this type of upgrade where the bank tries to make more money off of existing credit card accounts that are considered new and still within the first year of an active card benefit period.  You can work around this by applying for the card AS A NEW CARD and then close the Delta gold..  But you may not get any promo benefits offered to new delta cardmembers since you already hold one of these delta products..

$30,500$18,500NPSL$15,000$10,000$25,000$32,000
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.