Frequent Contributor

Re: Received fraud alert from Discover BEFORE receiving the card

@pt2005 wrote:

I got my card today (OMG) and activated it. Here is process:

1. Enter last 4 of the account

2. Enter last 4 of your SSN

3. Enter zipcode

4. Transfer to CSR to complete the activation

I'm not sure if this is the normal procedure, or Discover may have elevated security due to the fraudulent charges on the closed account.

As far as the fraudulent charges, I learned from Discover that whoever activated the card called in with "my phone number" (???) They created a PIN and used it to widthdraw cash. I asked them "my phone number"?, and they confirmed YES.

So it looks like the bad guy(s) must have used a phone system to fake my phone. But how did they know about the last 4 SSN?; that still remains unknown to me.

I have had my discover card now for 3 years and yes those are the steps to activate your card. I agree how did they know about your last 4 ssn. you may want to pull your credit report for safety and security reasons.

Message 11 of 20
Cory
Established Contributor

@pt2005 wrote:

I got my card today (OMG) and activated it. Here is process:

1. Enter last 4 of the account

2. Enter last 4 of your SSN

3. Enter zipcode

4. Transfer to CSR to complete the activation

I'm not sure if this is the normal procedure, or Discover may have elevated security due to the fraudulent charges on the closed account.

As far as the fraudulent charges, I learned from Discover that whoever activated the card called in with "my phone number" (???) They created a PIN and used it to widthdraw cash. I asked them "my phone number"?, and they confirmed YES.

So it looks like the bad guy(s) must have used a phone system to fake my phone. But how did they know about the last 4 SSN?; that still remains unknown to me.

Sounds like a hard to thing to accept, but it could very well be someone you actually know. Family, friend etc.

Message 12 of 20
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Social Security numbers are not hard to find, especially if someone has your name. address and other info (say from the envelope the credit card came in). It might take a little social engineering, but a determined thief can and will get your SSN. They're not particularly secure.

This is part of why many financial providers have been adding user-defined security questions to their validation routines.  

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 13 of 20
distantarray
Established Contributor

Have you guys EVER TRIED to use credit cards before activation? I have, and EVERY single carrier works fine before activating.

I tested my theory with Discover, Amex, Visa and Mastercard pretty stupid right.... we can't use unactivated gift cards, but we can use unactivated credit cards we don't yet have in our hands.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 14 of 20
pt2005
Regular Contributor

Not only did the bad guys know about my last 4, but also they faked my phone number. When they called in, Discover automated system recognized the phone (Discover confirmed that fact this morning). They created a PIN and things started to go bad from there.

I'm 1000% sure that it was not my wife since: (a) she does not have the key to the mailbox (only me), and (b) she was away from home. I don't have kids or anyone else in my household.

Pulled my CR this morning, things looked clean though.

My guts are telling me that the (fraud) card NEVER came to my mailbox to begin with. Either

1) Someone inside Discover (I hate to say that but very unlikely coz my limit is only $1000. If this were true, there are better cards with higher limit to choose from)

2) The apartment management office (YES they have the backup keys to my apartment, my mailbox). Yesterday, I performed a little test by telling the management office that I got locked down and I needed the keys from them to get in. In 2 mins, they gave me the keys. I checked and the key chain had the mailbox key in it.

I guess the answer id (2) because they have SSNs of me and my wife. Also they have my phone number.

What can I do in this case???

FICO Scores 8: EX 731, EQ 731, TU 725

Credit Cards: Chase Freedom 9.5K | AMEX TrueEarnings 4.5K | Cap1 Venture Visa 3.5K | Cap1 QS MC 3.5K | Discover IT 1K | Cap1 Spark Cash 15K | AMEX SimplyCash 9K

Store: PayPal SmartConnect 10K | JCP 5.2K | Banana 3.3K | Walmart 4.5K | Kohls 1.5K | TargetRED 200
Message 15 of 20
ceejx
Established Contributor

@pt2005 wrote:

Not only did the bad guys know about my last 4, but also they faked my phone number. When they called in, Discover automated system recognized the phone (Discover confirmed that fact this morning). They created a PIN and things started to go bad from there.

I'm 1000% sure that it was not my wife since: (a) she does not have the key to the mailbox (only me), and (b) she was away from home. I don't have kids or anyone else in my household.

Pulled my CR this morning, things looked clean though.

My guts are telling me that the (fraud) card NEVER came to my mailbox to begin with. Either

1) Someone inside Discover (I hate to say that but very unlikely coz my limit is only $1000. If this were true, there are better cards with higher limit to choose from)

2) The apartment management office (YES they have the backup keys to my apartment, my mailbox). Yesterday, I performed a little test by telling the management office that I got locked down and I needed the keys from them to get in. In 2 mins, they gave me the keys. I checked and the key chain had the mailbox key in it.

I guess the answer id (2) because they have SSNs of me and my wife. Also they have my phone number.

What can I do in this case???

If it was 15 miles from your house (unless it was purchased online or over phone) I'd assume it's someone at the post office or postal carrier.. I'd find out which stores it was used at, and go to the postal master at your local sorting center or the post office that your mail carrier's home base. They will conduct an investigation to see if someone in the post office is ganking mail with obvious credit cards in it.

Also on this note if you go to the place where the card was used, the store is usually likely to give you the video or let you take a picture of the video feed when the card was purchased as they can lose money when something is reported as fraud.

Message 16 of 20
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

Most lenders ask for the last 4 digits of your SS in order to activate new cards. That was the normal procedure I went to activate my new Discover card. I was asked for the last for digits of SS, the last 4 # of the card, no zipcode though but instead my mother's maiden name, all while speaking to a CSR. I believe I was immediately transferred to a live rep when I called to activate my Dis. Card.
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 17 of 20
Juan123
Established Contributor

to activate the discover card you have to call the 1800 number and speak to a rep so they can try and sell you the protection or credit report service.... (that was a year ago or so for me) so i'm not sure how the hell they activated yours... 

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 18 of 20
dns
Established Member

You could also activate online at https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acctxfer/app/nonACRHome?ICMPGN=TAAP_LP_LO_JUSTACT_TXT and from what I remember from my IT card's activation. I just filled out everything there and my card was activated after I submitted the info.

(12/2008)BofA Bankamericard: $2.2k, (11/2011)Chase Freedom: $3k, (04/2012)Barclays NFL Extra Points (Seahawks): $250, (08/2012)American Express BlueSky: $16.5k, (08/2012)Discover IT: $4.5k, (08/2012)Walmart Discover: $3.3k, (12/2013)BofA Alaska Airlines: $6.5k, (1/2014)Chase Sapphire Preferred: $8.5k

(11/2011)Chase EX: 756, (09/12)Walmart TU: 743 (08/12)Discover EQ:759 (09/12)CK FAKO:743, (09/12)CS FAKO: 738
Message 19 of 20
Satellite5
Established Member

@distantarray wrote:

Have you guys EVER TRIED to use credit cards before activation? I have, and EVERY single carrier works fine before activating.

I tested my theory with Discover, Amex, Visa and Mastercard pretty stupid right.... we can't use unactivated gift cards, but we can use unactivated credit cards we don't yet have in our hands.

Smiley Surprised No, I have not. But I have two new cards coming next week, so I want to try it out for myself. Because that sounds really messed up.

Starting Score: 735 (EQ) / 777 (TU)Oct. 2012
Current Score: 761 (EQ) / 752 (TU)Aug. 2014
Goal Score: 800
App free since 19.11.2013. \o/
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.