Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 18
hyprble
Regular Contributor

Re: Received hand written welcome letter

That's awesome!  It is nice to see companies keep that personal touch.  I just got a handwritten letter from my cell phone company (wha?) and even checked the card to see that the pen pressure marks through the back of the card Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 557 (2005)
Current Score: 803
Goal Score: 805

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

I applied for the Andrews FCU membership. After approving my membership they sent me a personalized hand written welcome letter. I guess human touch still exists in this computerized world.

Thats awesome!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 13 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@IowaGuy wrote:
If you fall behind, do they call you up and use your first name? "Mike, this is Tom from the CU..."

Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 14 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

I applied for the Andrews FCU membership. After approving my membership they sent me a personalized hand written welcome letter. I guess human touch still exists in this computerized world.

I really do hate to pop everyone's balloons here, but these letters are probably not handwritten, unless it's a "Thank You!" note from a salesperson of some sort.

Check it out for yourselves, if you still have the letters.  Under strong magnification, you'll see the letters are made up of very tiny dots (from using a laser printer).

Also, you'll notice that each character of the alphabet is identical throughout the correspondence, or perhaps with only a minor variation in size/style.  The characters are generated with a computer algorithm that apply slight variations to make them appear to be handwritten.  No person writes every letter the same that consistently, even in a one page note.

Sorry, folks!

Smiley Sad

P.S.  Congrats on the approval, concorduser!  Way to go!!

Message 15 of 18
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@Red1Blue wrote:

I really do hate to pop everyone's balloons here, but these letters are probably not handwritten, unless it's a "Thank You!" note from a salesperson of some sort.

Check it out for yourselves, if you still have the letters.  Under strong magnification, you'll see the letters are made up of very tiny dots (from using a laser printer).

Also, you'll notice that each character of the alphabet is identical throughout the correspondence, or perhaps with only a minor variation in size/style.  The characters are generated with a computer algorithm that apply slight variations to make them appear to be handwritten.  No person writes every letter the same that consistently, even in a one page note.

Sorry, folks!

Smiley Sad

P.S.  Congrats on the approval, concorduser!  Way to go!!

Interestingly, many years ago I worked on an engineering project that involved signature reproduction. While laser or ink jet printing has surplanted this technology, in ye olde days fundraising instutitions invested in machines that were specifically designed to sign letters, thus giving the appearance of a personal touch. I worked on the software end of developing a computer driven system that reproduced pen/ink signatures. Thus, I'm very well familiar with the nuances of laser/ink jet signatures vs. computer generated pen/ink signature reproduction vs. human produced pen/ink writing -- all three methods have their unique tell-tale signs.

I can't speak for Andrews FCU, but in the case of the welcome that I received from UCF FCU, it was a thank you card rather than an 8-1/2 x 11 letter; moreover, the signature bore all of the nuances of pen/ink rather than printer -- no tiny dots, changes of ink distrubtion relative to pressure points from changes in pen direction, etc. FWIW...

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 16 of 18
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

tinuviel wrote:   Interestingly, many years ago I worked on an engineering project that involved signature reproduction. While laser or ink jet printing has surplanted this technology, in ye olde days fundraising instutitions invested in machines that were specifically designed to sign letters, thus giving the appearance of a personal touch. I worked on the software end of developing a computer driven system that reproduced pen/ink signatures. Thus, I'm very well familiar with the nuances of laser/ink jet signatures vs. computer generated pen/ink signature reproduction vs. human produced pen/ink writing -- all three methods have their unique tell-tale signs.

I can't speak for Andrews FCU, but in the case of the welcome that I received from UCF FCU, it was a thank you card rather than an 8-1/2 x 11 letter; moreover, the signature bore all of the nuances of pen/ink rather than printer -- no tiny dots, changes of ink distrubtion relative to pressure points from changes in pen direction, etc. FWIW...

Personal "Thank You!" cards have always been welcomed by me, too!  And I used to wear out my writing hand preparing them for mailing to my clients and customers, and that personal touch went a long way for me in certain businesses I was involved in, most notably real estate.   "Thank You!" notes was the exception I pointed out in my post, above.

Here's an insight into some of today's technology (for those here who do not have a professional's knowledge of this subject).  It is absolutely incredible, it's available to anyone, and it's something I wish I'd had years ago to stave off writer's cramp.

Message 17 of 18
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

tinuviel wrote:   Interestingly, many years ago I worked on an engineering project that involved signature reproduction. While laser or ink jet printing has surplanted this technology, in ye olde days fundraising instutitions invested in machines that were specifically designed to sign letters, thus giving the appearance of a personal touch. I worked on the software end of developing a computer driven system that reproduced pen/ink signatures. Thus, I'm very well familiar with the nuances of laser/ink jet signatures vs. computer generated pen/ink signature reproduction vs. human produced pen/ink writing -- all three methods have their unique tell-tale signs.

Personal "Thank You!" cards have always been welcomed by me, too!  And I used to wear out my writing hand preparing them for mailing to my clients and customers, and that personal touch went a long way for me in certain businesses I was involved in, most notably real estate.   "Thank You!" notes was the exception I pointed out in my post, above.

Here's an insight into some of today's technology (for those here who do not have a professional's knowledge of this subject).  It is absolutely incredible, it's available to anyone, and it's something I wish I'd had years ago to stave off writer's cramp.

Great article! Thanks for sharing.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.