Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received interesting Barclays Offer

tag
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Received interesting Barclays Offer

This one offers 0% introductory APR until 12/11/13, after it becomes 17.99%. Transaction must post to account by 1/16/13. 3% BT fee.

They enclosed 3 checks.

Im curious if I can payoff a loan that I have with the check? Loan is from last year with a high APR and i'd love to PIF that and get 0% as well.

Anyone know if this is possible?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: Received interesting Barclays Offer

Very good question.

Message 2 of 11
adavis425
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

This one offers 0% introductory APR until 12/11/13, after it becomes 17.99%. Transaction must post to account by 1/16/13. 3% BT fee.

They enclosed 3 checks.

Im curious if I can payoff a loan that I have with the check? Loan is from last year with a high APR and i'd love to PIF that and get 0% as well.

Anyone know if this is possible?

I don't see why not. Chase just sent me a set of "convenience" checks and suggested that I do just that. Smiley Tongue I think you'd have no problem...and no interest!

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 3 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Shouldn't be a problem at all, as long as the 0% APR is also for BTs and not just purchases. Also...your CL would have to be high enough Smiley Tongue 

My sister got a very similar thing on her upromise card and immediately called me to find out what it meant because she didn't have any idea what it was. You could pretty much use the check anywhere so long as you have enough available credit to pay for it. 

Message 4 of 11
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

thats what they are for! they sent me one for 1k as well, though i threw it out.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 5 of 11
spengbab
Regular Contributor

Correct me if I'm wrong, don't the checks count as cash advance that are subject to a higher APR?

Barclaycard Apple Financing (2100), Discover More (2500), US Bank Visa Platinum (2000), CFNA (2200), Chase Freedom (500), Capital One (1500), HSBC Platinum Master Card (750), Nebraska Furniture Mart (1000)
Message 6 of 11
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

wait, you know what...that was the case for me - and that is why i trashed them.
5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 7 of 11
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Best advice.... read the fine print that comes with the checks... make sure they count as something other than a cash advance!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take a look at PSECU no balance transfer fee with 2.9% APR.

Message 9 of 11
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Those blasted things come for me all the time. You can even do it online if you want. You could also wait until you get the ones that offer to increase your line by the amount of the transfer, permanately.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.