cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received pre-approval for Discover. Applied and Denied. should I recon?

tag
Mistakes
Contributor

Re: Received pre-approval for Discover. Applied and Denied. should I recon?

Dustink, thanks for the info!   As I mentioned before, I really wish I would've found this website sooner.  Suza Orman came to see us and after sitting in on her financial brief I knew I had to get learn more and get serious about my credit.

Thanks Imua and everyone else!

Starting Score: EX649/EQ637/TU611
Current Score: EX649/EQ637/TU620
Goal Score: 750+ ALL 3 by December 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 26
distantarray
Established Contributor

I would join US Bank right now cause they waive the monthly fees or limit requirements for Military for their Platinum checking. ($25,000 minimum)

If you get your credit up and get a US Bank Cash+ card or any other US Bank cards they will give you extra 50% on your base reward points.

So US Bank Cash+ with platinum checking will get you 5% cash back on 2 categories, 2% on one gas, groceries or drug stores , and 1.5% on everything else making the best cash back card on the market EVEN better.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 22 of 26
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@distantarray wrote:

I would join US Bank right now cause they waive the monthly fees or limit requirements for Military for their Platinum checking. ($25,000 minimum)

If you get your credit up and get a US Bank Cash+ card or any other US Bank cards they will give you extra 50% on your base reward points.

So US Bank Cash+ with platinum checking will get you 5% cash back on 2 categories, 2% on one gas, groceries or drug stores , and 1.5% on everything else making the best cash back card on the market EVEN better.

I wouldn't be too hasty with that; most likely the OP would have to remain active service to keep the discount and depending on the fee structure it may not be defensible.

Secondly, there's no guaruntee that the Cash+ is still going to be around at that point: USBank honestly doesn't have the long-standing tradition of being an elite card issuer (Chase, Amex, Citi would be my three I'd label as such, YMMV) and credit card offerings change all the time.  When it comes to overall finances the relationship with NFCU is waaaaaaay better than USBank in my estimation: if I had the ability to get in there'd be absolutely zero question where I'd bank, and nobody else even comes close with the possible exception of if I still needed a local depository account.  NFCU has an ATM within walking distance of me at the local drugstore even, hard to see where I couldn't make it work.

The OP's name of "Mistakes" is apparently for past issues because he's solid with a good path now; there's a time to stay the course and this is one of them I think.  I know I'm one of the biggest proponents of relationship building on these forums, but there's only so many ways most of us can slice our financial pie, and USBank doesn't appear to have any issue with granting Cash+ cards to newcomers to their bank... if anything, they launched this product just to entice people into their company because frankly they were sort of losing marketshare as near as I could see, they just don't have the volume of a Chase, BOFA, or Wells as a local bank at least in my area.

        
Message 23 of 26
distantarray
Established Contributor

true enough but regardless they could restructure and lose some benefits but they would probably drop a few things or change it to something smiliar to BCP and add an annual fee I'd still be ok with that as long as I get billpay Smiley Tongue

Message 24 of 26
RonDawg
Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

I swear by the cash + card myself so of course I couldn't agree more.  US Bank is a great bank to have a relationship with.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 25 of 26
distantarray
Established Contributor

it's also good not to put all eggs in one basket =)   go with the better bank and shop around imo. It sucks cause I have military banking and it's pretty dumb if you don't have navy federal and usaa =\ so I have too many lol

Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.