Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Received this question re: getting my Amex Plat reinstated

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Received this question re: getting my Amex Plat reinstated

But the thread was closed so thought I would add it as a thread in case anyone else encounters this. I owed 70k and they closed the account. It took 4 grueling months to get it reinstated. This may be helpful for the folks who owe money and are concerned about reapplying, etc. You definitely need to make the payment you owe. That goes without saying. It was still a stressful process but they did reopen the card after 4 months. Actually they opened 2 for me, very odd, but it's Amex so need to play by their rules.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Received this question re: getting my Amex Plat reinstated

@Anonymous wrote:
But the thread was closed so thought I would add it as a thread in case anyone else encounters this. I owed 70k and they closed the account. It took 4 grueling months to get it reinstated. This may be helpful for the folks who owe money and are concerned about reapplying, etc. You definitely need to make the payment you owe. That goes without saying. It was still a stressful process but they did reopen the card after 4 months. Actually they opened 2 for me, very odd, but it's Amex so need to play by their rules.

If I was spending that much legitimate spend with amex and they pulled a stunt like closing my card I would go to a different lender. Unless you were using a pay over time feature or something.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they close your account because you owed 70k, or for another reason?

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry For the late reply. I had used the grace period as I always had and so it was the December- holidays statement and then into the next statement so it was for 2 months, but not late, I didn't even have a single fee after the whole thing. Amex changed things somewhat and now you need your payment in by the day the next one cuts, but for ten years, it was alright to have it in by the next months due date. So you could almost have 2.5/3 months and I did this without incident. The one thing I didn't understand the importance of was not having a returned payment so sometimes I scheduled one and if I forgot to transfer funds that day so long as I wasn't late, I thought it was a nonissue. At the end of January I had a payment scheduled for the 30k due then. I had also applied for my first ever credit card other than Amex, a Chase sapphire, bc I was going on a trip. Im sitting on the plane, completely forgot I scheduled the payment that day, check my email and there is an account cancellation. It was awful. It took until April to get them to agree to reinstate and another month before I got the card back. I kept paying the way I always had. I did lag on the 3rd payment bc I was so frustrated with them and wanted to motivate them to give the card back. Sorry if this was really long and boring. I must have logged 50 hours of phone time trying to get it back.
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

The process is very mysterious. You receive a phone call from an Amex rep at a unusual number and no one else in any department of Amex knows about this so half the time you don't even know what's going on bc certain things will be confirmed, and then completely denied by supervisors in 3 other departments the next day.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.