cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Receiving a CLI with a threat to CLOSE!!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Receiving a CLI with a threat to CLOSE!!!!

Have any of you used this tactic and been successful at getting a CLI???? For which cards?? Just curious.  And if you have you used this tactic what is the best way to go about it??

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 03-18-2008 02:01 PM
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Receiving a CLI with a threat to CLOSE!!!!

It might work with HSBC. They gave CLI to my HSBC MC when I am trying to close the account.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

HSBC- APR reduction and small CLI-
Still ended up closing them a few months later.

landocalrissian wrote:
Have any of you used this tactic and been successful at getting a CLI???? For which cards?? Just curious.  And if you have you used this tactic what is the best way to go about it??

Message Edited by landocalrissian on 03-18-2008 02:01 PM

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes lando. With HSBC a little over a year ago when it was brand new. In fact I had not even activated it, and received a statement with the AF on it.

I went ballistic and told them to close the card. The CSR offered to waive the fee and offered a $150 cli. I accepted the offer.
Message 4 of 9
orl2185
Established Contributor

Not many creditors are gonna go for that anyway. Remember this, how many folks on this forum want cc so badly? Creditors  know that as well, they get some and lose some.

After some time even HSBC is not gonna entertain that thaught either.

Message Edited by orl2185 on 03-18-2008 06:19 PM
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree orl. Only use that tactic if you really want to close the card in the first place. If it doesn't work, follow up on your commitment. If it does work, then just think of it as postponing the inevitable.
Message 6 of 9
dangphuocloc72
Frequent Contributor

Smiley Mad capitalone doesn't work for me . ask CL . they say no . I say I want close my card . they say ok . first CC I have in my CR . Smiley Sad
Message 7 of 9
orl2185
Established Contributor

dangphuocloc72 wrote:
Smiley Mad capitalone doesn't work for me . ask CL . they say no . I say I want close my card . they say ok . first CC I have in my CR . Smiley Sad

Oh man.... wow lesson to learn to other members.  after they locked you out, money was allocated to other cc holder in a manner of minutes. Our company has a lame store branded card. Lots of closures, but lot more account openings. Think about what I just said!!! CCC just don't care anymore whether you keep their cards or not IMO
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know at Amex that technique does not work.  They don't have a problem with clicking cancel.  Teehee.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.