cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent app spree: instant denial, 10 days, instant approval...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recent app spree: instant denial, 10 days, instant approval...

So, I decided to broaden my very limited credit porfolio, and I can't say I'm not a bit surprised.

I currently only have 1 credit card (only card I've ever had) with Discover (More card with $1k limit).  I've never been late, paid in full, and had 1% util.  I applied for the Discover it card.  I know I could just PC my current More card, but I wanted a new account number anyways, and I was planning on just closing the More if approved.  I also applied for the AMEX BCE and Chase Freedom.  My short credit history is what is/will kill me, so I knew that going into this, but I still wanted those cards and didn't want to settle for lower ones.

At the time of applying, I had 1% util , no baddies, and no inquiries on any of my reports.  I'm a full-time student and have an income of about $20k a year.  EQ had me at 754 and TU at 770 (doesn't mean too much with my short history though).

Discover it - instant denial (you would think after running quite a bit through them and never being late they'd approve me, even if it was a low limit).

AMEX BCE - 7 to 10 day wait message

Chase Freedom - instant approval (surprised me actually)

My questions are this, is it worth calling Discover to see if they'd be willing to do anything, especially since I would close my existing account if they approved the new card, or is an instant denial basically the end with them?  I suppose I can still PC my existing More card, but I did want a new account without having to go the lost/stolen route (personal reasons).

The AMEX BCE I'm thinking I'll just have to wait as from what I've read, it doesn't really seem like they recon or speed the process up much if you call, but definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

For the Chase Freedom, I'm thinking I should be able to call and find out my limit, or is there a way to do that online as well?

Thanks in advance for any input/feedback!

EDIT:  Just called the automated Chase number and found out I was approved for a $3500 limit. Smiley Surprised I've only ever had the $1k with Discover, so this is definitely a nice surprise.  Apparently Discover is really that stingy with limits, because they won't give me a CLI and instant denied me on a second card.

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
rudy0720
Regular Contributor

Re: Recent app spree: instant denial, 10 days, instant approval...

PC the More to IT which is what I did. Discover will not allow 2 cards at same time. One per customer

Citi Thank You Premier Visa Signature-$9K, Citi Thank You Preferred Vis Signature-$8.3K, Citi AA Signature- 8.5K, Citi Simplicity 9.2K, Citi Diamond-6.1K, Lowes-$10K, Chase Sapphire Preferred- $ 5K, AMEX BCE $14.5K, AMEX Starwood Preferred $15K, ,AMEX Everyday-$5K, Fidelity Amex-$10K, US Bank 123 rewards Kroger-$17K, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature-$30K, Amex Delta-$10K, Barclay Arrival Plus- $10K, Penfed Travel Rewards Amex-$10K, Bank of America Cash Rewards- $14K
Message 2 of 29
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

For Discover...you can call and recon at this line. Discover: 888-676-3695 (Recon). They are usually good about recons.

To find out your CL with Chase...you can call the auto number Chase: 800-436-7927 (App status - automated). It will tell you te CL and the APR you were approved for.

Good luck with Discover.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 3 of 29
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the freedom! Lets us know your cl
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rudy0720 wrote:

PC the More to IT which is what I did. Discover will not allow 2 cards at same time. One per customer

They do allow 2 cards per member, it's actually their maximum they allow.  I've confirmed that with several reps, and even on their website before I applied it said, "[NAME], you can change the rewards program on your existing card, or go ahead and apply for a second card."

And I edited the OP, but I got a $3500 limit.  I'm so happy right now.  I suppose I'll try my luck calling Discover first and then PC if all else fails.

Message 5 of 29
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Awsome cl! Congrats
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 6 of 29
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Okay, I honestly think you should just PC the More to IT. The main point of getting more credit accounts is so it shows responsibllity with numerous accounts but if you apply for a card you can get without a new account showing up it wouldn't hurt your Age of Acounts. In other words, Closing the More for the IT isn't worth it as it would still show 1 revolving account. The idea is to get a few different accounts/lenders. If you bank with Chase the nnew account may be there when you login. If you don't bank with Chase or you don't see the account on login I would definitely call the automated line to find out the info. I would also check the AMEX app status page to see the status. 

Message 7 of 29
adavis425
Established Contributor

Have you checked the AMEX status site? Quite often when you get that message, you are already approved. Worth a look. Smiley Tongue

It's here: https://www262.americanexpress.com/eaol/welcome.do. Good luck!

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 8 of 29
tennisfan78
Established Contributor

@CC365 wrote:

Okay, I honestly think you should just PC the More to IT. The main point of getting more credit accounts is so it shows responsibllity with numerous accounts but if you apply for a card you can get without a new account showing up it wouldn't hurt your Age of Acounts. In other words, Closing the More for the IT isn't worth it as it would still show 1 revolving account. The idea is to get a few different accounts/lenders. If you bank with Chase the nnew account may be there when you login. If you don't bank with Chase or you don't see the account on login I would definitely call the automated line to find out the info. I would also check the AMEX app status page to see the status. 

I also think that you should PC to IT. In that way you will not lose the good history you had with them over the past year and will not lower the average age of accounts.

Starting Score: EQ=665,TU=618 on Oct 9,2010
EQ=702,TU=725 on Apr 11, 2012 EQ=705 on Oct 31, 2012 Current Score: EQ=702, TU=714 on Dec 8, 2012
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 29
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@tennisfan78 wrote:

@CC365 wrote:

I also think that you should PC to IT. In that way you will not lose the good history you had with them over the past year and will not lower the average age of accounts.

I do wonder that since the OP has an exisiting Discover card...did app'ing for the IT result in a HP? I would look into that. It could be that Discover realized you had an account with them already and knocked your app out of the system.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.