cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent app spree: instant denial, 10 days, instant approval...

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Recent app spree: instant denial, 10 days, instant approval...

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I decided to broaden my very limited credit porfolio, and I can't say I'm not a bit surprised.

I currently only have 1 credit card (only card I've ever had) with Discover (More card with $1k limit).  I've never been late, paid in full, and had 1% util.  I applied for the Discover it card.  I know I could just PC my current More card, but I wanted a new account number anyways, and I was planning on just closing the More if approved.  I also applied for the AMEX BCE and Chase Freedom.  My short credit history is what is/will kill me, so I knew that going into this, but I still wanted those cards and didn't want to settle for lower ones.

At the time of applying, I had 1% util , no baddies, and no inquiries on any of my reports.  I'm a full-time student and have an income of about $20k a year.  EQ had me at 754 and TU at 770 (doesn't mean too much with my short history though).

Discover it - instant denial (you would think after running quite a bit through them and never being late they'd approve me, even if it was a low limit).

AMEX BCE - 7 to 10 day wait message

Chase Freedom - instant approval (surprised me actually)

My questions are this, is it worth calling Discover to see if they'd be willing to do anything, especially since I would close my existing account if they approved the new card, or is an instant denial basically the end with them?  I suppose I can still PC my existing More card, but I did want a new account without having to go the lost/stolen route (personal reasons).

The AMEX BCE I'm thinking I'll just have to wait as from what I've read, it doesn't really seem like they recon or speed the process up much if you call, but definitely correct me if I'm wrong.

For the Chase Freedom, I'm thinking I should be able to call and find out my limit, or is there a way to do that online as well?

Thanks in advance for any input/feedback!

EDIT:  Just called the automated Chase number and found out I was approved for a $3500 limit. Smiley Surprised I've only ever had the $1k with Discover, so this is definitely a nice surprise.  Apparently Discover is really that stingy with limits, because they won't give me a CLI and instant denied me on a second card.

Just PC your More card over to an IT so that your AAoA will not be affected. You can just call in. It takes like 2 minutes.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

As an update to the cards:

As previously posted, did check the automated line with Chase and I was approved for a $3500 limit. *YAY*

Just checked my AMEX app using the link posted, and shows I'm approved for that as well, but no limit shown.  I'm assuming I'll probably have to call to find that one out?

To the Discover, I know it makes no sense what I'm doing, I just wanted a new separate account.  I wasn't so much worried about the hit on the AAoA.  Discover does allow 2 accounts per member as well, so having an existing account when applying shouldn't have affected my app, unless they didn't want to give me more available credit, which the $1k tied up in the first card could have done.  I know it's easier to just PC, but like I said, I just wanted a new account number for personal reasons and didn't want to go the lost/stolen route.

Anyways, thanks so much for the help thus far!

Message 12 of 29
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As previously posted, did check the automated line with Chase and I was approved for a $3500 limit. *YAY*

Just checked my AMEX app using the link posted, and shows I'm approved for that as well, but no limit shown.  I'm assuming I'll probably have to call to find that one out?

To the Discover, I know it makes no sense what I'm doing, I just wanted a new separate account.  I wasn't so much worried about the hit on the AAoA.  Discover does allow 2 accounts per member as well, so having an existing account when applying shouldn't have affected my app, unless they didn't want to give me more available credit, which the $1k tied up in the first card could have done.  I know it's easier to just PC, but like I said, I just wanted a new account number for personal reasons and didn't want to go the lost/stolen route.

Even if you did say the card was lost/stolen/whatever, you wouldn't lose the history of the old account. A New Tradeline will show but with the old history.

Have you just simply asked Discover if they would just PC to an IT card with a new number?

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 13 of 29
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

With Amex, I have heard that if you dont have a limit when you apply and are approved, then you get it when the letter comes. With me, I had to call in with Citi, and when I checked my Discover, I just checked the application page and it said that I was approved with my limit. My PRG obviously is a NSPL but I am approved to 600 (ya it's a low limit, but it is okay for my income...lol.) But then again, I have heard of people getting their limits by calling it in. YMMV. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 14 of 29
john398
Senior Contributor

Nice limit with Chase with only 20k income, congrats

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@injustifiiable wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Even if you did say the card was lost/stolen/whatever, you wouldn't lose the history of the old account. A New Tradeline will show but with the old history.

Have you just simply asked Discover if they would just PC to an IT card with a new number?

So initially it will show 2 tradelines, correct? But the original one will drop off and only the new one (with the same history) will be left?

I haven't asked about the PCing and getting a new account number part.  When I contacted them, I just wanted the options for getting a new account number and they said the only two ways were to open a new card or report it as lost/stolen.  I suppose that would be the easier way to go regardless, even if I have to PC first, and then report it as lost, etc.

And to the above poster, yeah, I was definitely surprised to see that with Chase.  I heard they lowered their criteria, so more people were getting approved, but I also heard many were getting very low limits like $500, so to get $3500 when I've only ever had one other card at $1k was a very pleasent surprise.

Message 16 of 29
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@injustifiiable wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So initially it will show 2 tradelines, correct? But the original one will drop off and only the new one (with the same history) will be left?

I haven't asked about the PCing and getting a new account number part.  When I contacted them, I just wanted the options for getting a new account number and they said the only two ways were to open a new card or report it as lost/stolen.  I suppose that would be the easier way to go regardless, even if I have to PC first, and then report it as lost, etc.

And to the above poster, yeah, I was definitely surprised to see that with Chase.  I heard they lowered their criteria, so more people were getting approved, but I also heard many were getting very low limits like $500, so to get $3500 when I've only ever had one other card at $1k was a very pleasent surprise.

Either that would happen or what would probably happen is the TL is just totally replaced with the new information. Could happen either way, honestly.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 17 of 29
jsucool76
Super Contributor

AFAIK discover only allows "certain" customers two cards.
Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jsucool76 wrote:
AFAIK discover only allows "certain" customers two cards.

Ah, interesting... you would think they would tell you that when you ask, haha, but I guess not.  So in other words, I may have strictly been insta-denied because I had an existing card like some of the earlier posters said. Sad Smiley Sad

I'll try contacting Discover and will definitely PC the card and then report it as lost if they can't give me a new account number during the PC.

On a side note: Called AMEX and they said my limit was $2000 on the BCE.  I'm freakishly happy.  Going from $1000 in avail credit to almost $7000 is amazing.  And hopefully I can get the 3X CLI after 61 days.

EDIT:  Contacted Discover, they converted my account and reported my card as lost in the same swoop, so I'll receive my new it card with the new account number within a few days.  Pretty painless, and this way I can keep the history, but get a new account number.  Unfortunately, there's no way to request a CLI since I'm under 21.  I simply have to wait for the automatic ones to roll by, which haven't graced me thus far, haha.

Message 19 of 29
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Congratulations! This spree was pretty successful overall if you consider how short your history is and how low your income is. This is why everyone days it is easier to build credit history than to rebuild it. 

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.