Contributor
Alcibiades

Recently approved for two Visa Signature cards - how to optimize for best FICO score

Last week, I decided to do a mini app-o-rama given I don't need anything like a car loan or to move apartments in the next six months or so. This time, I focused on travel rwards cards. I was approved for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature from Bank of America with a $10,000 CL and the United Airlines Miles Plus Explorer Visa Signature from Chase with an $8,000 CL. A few questions

1) Do Bank of America and Chase report Visa Signature credit lines differently? From what I understand, Bank of America reports revolving balance but not a credit line of any sort while Chase might report your highest total balance as a credit line with your current balance in utilization.

2) I use an Amex for my normal monthly expenses and PIF. Should I switch to these cards for a couple of months to get balances high? Is it worth it to accumulate a balance for a few months on these cards, then pay them off?

Valued Contributor
wmarat

Re: Recently approved for two Visa Signature cards - how to optimize for best FICO score

Alcibiades wrote:

Last week, I decided to do a mini app-o-rama given I don't need anything like a car loan or to move apartments in the next six months or so. This time, I focused on travel rwards cards. I was approved for the Alaska Airlines Visa Signature from Bank of America with a $10,000 CL and the United Airlines Miles Plus Explorer Visa Signature from Chase with an $8,000 CL. A few questions

1) Do Bank of America and Chase report Visa Signature credit lines differently? From what I understand, Bank of America reports revolving balance but not a credit line of any sort while Chase might report your highest total balance as a credit line with your current balance in utilization. As far as I know, neither BOA nor Chase report CL on signature cards.

2) I use an Amex for my normal monthly expenses and PIF. Should I switch to these cards for a couple of months to get balances high? Is it worth it to accumulate a balance for a few months on these cards, then pay them off? PIF is the best and cheapest way to manage credit cards.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Regular Contributor
anderl

Re: Recently approved for two Visa Signature cards - how to optimize for best FICO score

+1000

Amex Platinum Charge(NPSL); Starwood Amex Preferred CC(20K CL); Delta Amex Reserve CC(21K CL); Amex PRG Charge(NPSL); Amex Zync(NPSL); United Presidential Plus Chase World Elite MC (15K CL); AARP Chase Visa Signature(35K CL); NFCU Visa Platinum(20K CL) NFCU LOC(15K); NFCU Go Rewards MC(17.5K); Disover IT 7.8K;
First Tech Federal Visa Platinum(15K CL); Simmons First Visa Platinum(9K CL); Wells Fargo Visa Platinum(7.5K CL); CitiBank Sears MC(6K CL); JCPenney Card(6K CL); Lowes(2.5K CL).
Frequent Contributor
minimock

I have both of those cards, and they dont report the limit.

Scores: EQ (FICO) - 730 | EX (FICO) - 722 | TU (FICO) - 713 - 06/25/2014

US Airways MC (5 K) | US Airways World MC (10 K) | Chase United Airlines Sig VISA (5K) | BOA Rewards Sig Visa (10K) Citi Dividend Plat MC (5.6K) | Discover Miles (6.6K) | AMEX BCE (7 K) | AMEX Plat Delta (11 K) | BOA PLAT (7.5K)

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+