Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recieving free Credit Report because of Creditor Denial

tag
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Recieving free Credit Report because of Creditor Denial

Recently tried the LUV button on my Banana Republic Card and denied like usual. It wasn't that much of a big deal I was giving it a whirl but read somewhere that every time your denied credit your allowed a free Credit Report of the Bureau they pulled from. How does that work ? I thought once you pulled your free reports for the year that was it, unless you paid. How do you get another report or am I misunderstanding something else ?
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Recieving free Credit Report because of Creditor Denial

If it was a HP you can go to the credit reporting agency they used and pull it. If it was a soft pull I don't think you can.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 7
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus
LShawn08
Frequent Contributor

Correction if it's a SOFTPULL it still works. Just checked my TU report and its all good but one day late from 2012. I guess they just don't like me. Thanks Kenny!
Starting Score:TU:791(Dec3), EX:783, EQ:000
Current Score: TU:786(Aug9), EX:776, EQ:782 (Aug8)
Goal Score:820 across all boards

If all pork chops were perfect, we wouldn't have hot dogs! -Steven Universe
Message 4 of 7
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@LShawn08 wrote:
Correction if it's a SOFTPULL it still works. Just checked my TU report and its all good but one day late from 2012. I guess they just don't like me. Thanks Kenny!

Good to know thanks for sharing. 

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 7
14Fiesta
Established Contributor

@coldnmn wrote:

If it was a HP you can go to the credit reporting agency they used and pull it. If it was a soft pull I don't think you can.

It might depend on the lender, but I know soft pull pre-qual denial for Credit One nets you a free Experian report.

EX FICO (AMEX): 728 (4/29/17) | TU FICO (Discover): 737 (4/7/17) | EQ FICO (Citi): 746 (3/28/17)
Message 6 of 7
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

I have accessed free credit reports after any kind of denial: whether I was denied for a new card (HP), or denied for a Credit Limit increase (HP or SP).

You need to get the letter from the creditor about the bureau that they used (if they used multiple, they'll still tell you about one generally). Within 60 days of the denial, you can get the free report.

Also, if you have a report from Experian, you can use the same report number to get an updated report. I do not know what is the time frame to get the update though (i.e. 30 days, 60 days etc.)

EDIT: The updated report from Experian is free of cost.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.