Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recomend Best Fuel cc

Message 41 of 43
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Congrats on the new Chase card!  Smiley Very Happy

I'm especially glad to hear there's "life after a CO" with them, since I had my own WaMu 'incident' the same year you did (same exact scenario - the card was in the process of being charged off as it was transferred to Chase).  In another year or so I might hit them up myself!

I also want to add one thing that might be helpful... during Discover's 1st quarter when gas was a category, I started to make note of how different purchases coded (I'm really cheap), and I found out that my local Kroger codes all purchases at the gas island as "Automated Fuel Dispenser" even if you pay the clerk at the window.  I picked up a bag of ice at the gas pumps (it's quicker than going inside the grocery store) and when I paid the clerk the charged ended up looking like this:

discoverice.jpg

I realize this might be unique to Discover and/or this one gas station, but if you frequent the same fuel stations repeatedly it might be worth a 'test charge' (maybe a candy bar or something) with one of the 5% cards that have rewards that are restricted to the pump just to see how it will code... you could get a pleasant surprise.  Smiley Wink

Again, congrats on the AARP, and on getting back in with Chase!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 42 of 43
Kutuzov
Frequent Contributor

I noticed Discover does show the merchant code on the app, Chase does not (maybe on the PC does but not on the app), As I don't even own a PC nowadays (use my DW or kids one when I'm home, if needed ...), I can't tell. The way I find out that 3 merchants coded as something else rather than fuel was calling chase. Interesting enough the 3 merchants that did it are located in Wyoming, on I80. I guess they have some sort of grocery/fuel/everything goes coding. This trucks stops are literally in the middle of nowhere. One after Cheyenne about 100 or so miles in Laramine, there's nothing there in miles around other than the truck stop, and a bad cooker (it took 30 minutes for the guy to do a burger). Anyways the savings on Diesel far outweighs the 2% lost. I pour that day 154 gallons at $1.84, while other trucks stops got it at $1.99 or more, a 15c difference in that quantity is a lot. 

For taxes truck drivers and any tax payer subject to DOT hrs of operation got a special tax preparation. You get a per dime deduction of $59 a day of each day away from home. Meals are included on the per dime, unless I go fancy on s daily bases and spend more than that amount and do it itemized I just take the standard per dime for the days on the road for taxes. I can still deduct anything that I buy for the truck (including my kids Xbox).

Gardening since 03/25/2016. Discover FICO 705 (4/21/16).
Discover It 2000, Barclay Ring 7100, Capital One QS 7000, Amazon sc 6000, Chase AARP 2500, Barclay Rewards 500
Message 43 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.