cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a Credit Card. Excellent Credit. Pay in full every month. Cash back or Gift Cards.

tag
thorjo1984
Established Member

Recommend a Credit Card. Excellent Credit. Pay in full every month. Cash back or Gift Cards.

Hello. I was looking to get a new credit card (or charge card) and was not sure which one would be the best for my situation. I currently have a Bank of America Rewards Platinum Plus with a limit of $5,000 which I pay off in full every month. I also have a Target card but I don't use it anymore. Here is some of my financial information.

Credit Score: 854

Anual Income: $45,000. This may soon increase to $60,000 as I take a new position at my work.

Amount charged on card monthly: $1200-$2000

I owe $2,800 on a motorcycle which I bought 18 months ago for $12,000 but have no other debt. I purchased a car in 2006 and got a loan for $19,000 which is paid off.

I don't do a lot of travelling, so I would benefit more from cards that offer gift cards or cash back.

I will be paying my balance off in full every month.

Message 1 of 84
83 REPLIES 83
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: Recommend a Credit Card. Excellent Credit. Pay in full every month. Cash back or Gift Cards.

@thorjo1984 wrote:

Hello. I was looking to get a new credit card (or charge card) and was not sure which one would be the best for my situation. I currently have a Bank of America Rewards Platinum Plus with a limit of $5,000 which I pay off in full every month. I also have a Target card but I don't use it anymore. Here is some of my financial information.

Credit Score: 854

Anual Income: $45,000. This may soon increase to $60,000 as I take a new position at my work.

Amount charged on card monthly: $1200-$2000

I owe $2,800 on a motorcycle which I bought 18 months ago for $12,000 but have no other debt. I purchased a car in 2006 and got a loan for $19,000 which is paid off.

I don't do a lot of travelling, so I would benefit more from cards that offer gift cards or cash back.

I will be paying my balance off in full every month.

Welcome to the Forums.

Where did you get your score and what bureau is it (Experian, Equifax and Tranunion)? Reason why I asked is that FICO scores range from 300-850 and yours is 854. It seems that you ahve a what we call FAKO which can be termed (depending where you buy it) Vantage, Plus Score etc..

How old are you existing credit cards (their age).

Message 2 of 84
jclark1183
Valued Member

Re: Recommend a Credit Card. Excellent Credit. Pay in full every month. Cash back or Gift Cards.

What are your spending habits?

Message 3 of 84
Tryon2improve
Regular Contributor

Score of 854?? Is this a FAKO score?  The highest FICO score is 850, Vantage goes to 990.  This does make a difference.

What is your AAoA?  How many inquiries do you have?

Message 4 of 84
thorjo1984
Established Member

Thanks for the reply. 854 is the average from my TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax scores. I got the scores from TrueCredit which is owned by TransUnion. I have had my Bank of America card for 4 years and my Target card for 5 years. I am not sure what my FICO score is, maybe I'll give the free trial a go.

Message 5 of 84
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

@thorjo1984 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. 854 is the average from my TransUnion, Experian, and Equifax scores. I got the scores from TrueCredit which is owned by TransUnion. I have had my Bank of America card for 4 years and my Target card for 5 years. I am not sure what my FICO score is, maybe I'll give the free trial a go.

Please give us the scores individually.  Creditors usually only pull one report (minus Cap One which sometimes pulls all three and AmEx may pull two).

Also, which Bank of America card do you have and whats the limit on both cards?

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 6 of 84
CS800
Super Contributor

@thorjo1984 wrote:

Those scores are practically useless. Like you said get teh free trial on myfico and that will give you your score. You won't be able to get your Experian score anywhere apart from a lender or a credit union in PA.

Once we see your true FICO, the folks on here will be able to steer you towards a card.

Message 7 of 84
thorjo1984
Established Member

TransUnion 854, Experian 853, Equifax 854.

I have the Bank of America BankAmericard Rewards Platinum Plus with a $5,000 limit. 

I have the Target Visa with a $500 limit (used to be $5,000 but I stopped using it when I got my Bank of America card)

I have had 2 inquiries in the past 2 years. 1 for a loan on my motorcycle 18 months ago, and another for when I applied to rent my current residence 3 months ago.

Message 8 of 84
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@thorjo1984 wrote:

TransUnion 854, Experian 853, Equifax 854.

I have the Bank of America BankAmericard Rewards Platinum Plus with a $5,000 limit. 

I have the Target Visa with a $500 limit (used to be $5,000 but I stopped using it when I got my Bank of America card)

I have had 2 inquiries in the past 2 years. 1 for a loan on my motorcycle 18 months ago, and another for when I applied to rent my current residence 3 months ago.

Welcome to myFICO.

I will confirm that none of those are FICO scores. Transunion sells what are called VantageScores and although a few lenders use the VS it's still not very reliable.

No one has been able to buy their own Experian FICO score since February of 2009. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU (PSECU) in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myFICO.

At one time you could also purchase your Transunion score at transunioncs.com but no more. Wal Mart now offers a TU08 score to those who have their store card and the Discover version.

Equifax will still sell you a FICO score found here: www.equifax.com/web-myfico-products/

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 9 of 84
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

I'm going to estimate your FICO score at high-600s low 700s (Based on the information you gave us).  But again, best to get your score here at MyFico.

If you like paying in full and want Cash Back or Gift cards.. Depending on how much you spend, I'd say try for a Chase Freedom or Discover More card, or an AmEx Green (or Gold if you spend alot)

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 10 of 84
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.