Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a secured card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recommend a secured card

Can anyone recommend a secured card. I googled best and worst of 2012 and they listed orchard bank mc / visa ? Any other ideas , thanks.
Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

Re: Recommend a secured card

@Anonymous wrote:
Can anyone recommend a secured card. I googled best and worst of 2012 and they listed orchard bank mc / visa ? Any other ideas , thanks.

Depends on your credit file.   Are you new with no history or rebuilding with negatives on your file?

Message 2 of 30
DVH1980
Contributor

I had both a Cap 1 and USAA. They are what they are, didnt have any issues with either. Both limits could be increased with deposits. Cap 1 also gave me unsecured CLI's. The USAA is an Amex and may not be as "usable" as the Cap 1 since its a MC and accepted at more places. USAA is definitely the one to go with if you want to upgrade to one of their unsecured cards later.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 3 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Rebuilding
Fico 608
Bad payment history
The rest are good
And very good credit available
One public record for chase mc

Last time I had a cc was in 06. 1 closed and 2 store cards closed. All from 06.
Message 4 of 30
DVH1980
Contributor

You could probably get a Cap 1 unsecured card witha 608.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 5 of 30
DVH1980
Contributor

Go to Cap 1 website and see if they match you up with one of their unsecured cards. My wife got one with a similar score. #50 to start but was part of the credit steps program and auto increased it to 500 on the 7th statement.

Message 6 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Might chose the cap 1 but an you be specific bc I know there are many types. I applied for an amex cc and was denied two months ago so I will skip usaa. Usaa has a MasterCard as well.
Message 7 of 30
trix_r_4_kids
Regular Contributor

There are others on the forum who do not like Capital One.  I'm probably among the minority who have been pleased with Capital One.  I got a secured card from them 6 months ago.  I paid $49 for the $200 card.  Yes, it was a hard pull for each of the 3 CRAs (ouch).  However, I haven't had any issues since opening the account.  They report to the bureaus monthly.  Their online bill pay is very user friendly.  One drawback -- phone based customer service is not stateside.

You can go to Capitalone.com to see if you are prequalified.  I recommend apping for the regular platinum card or cash rewards card for average credit first.  If you are declined, they will offer the secured card.

Keep us posted!

I used to post my scores here. However, I'm prone to motion sickness and the ups and downs were nauseating.
Message 8 of 30
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Rebuilding
Fico 608
Bad payment history
The rest are good
And very good credit available
One public record for chase mc

Last time I had a cc was in 06. 1 closed and 2 store cards closed. All from 06.

I recommend Capital One secured card among the major banks, as most of the other major banks prefer people with no credit and will likey deny.   Capital One bought Orchard, so no point in applying for that instead of Capital One. 

Credit Unions are also good place to get secured cards, if you belong to one or are eligible for one.

If you prequalify on Capital One web site, they may offer you an unsecured card.   If you are only interested in low limit cards, that is a good way to go.  If you want higher limits in the future, a secured card with a large deposit and CL is preferrable, IMO.

Avoid the high fee cards, as a secured card is usually much less expensive in the long run.  (You get your deposit back).

Message 9 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

If you qualify, I think the best secured card would be the one from BofA.

It's a well run program with clarity of terms for graduation to an unsecured product in 12 months.  Usually, BofAs graduate with a CL and allow for potential product changes to other of their products.

Message 10 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.