Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend a secured card

tag
DVH1980
Contributor

Re: Recommend a secured card

USAA secured cards are much easier to obtain than their unsecured. I was able to get approved for an unsecured USAA card after having my Secured USAA for a few months. I think that is the better way to go in the long run as USAA will grow with you. You will quickly outgrow a Cap 1 card.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 11 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes my Husband and I are eligible for a credit union bank account we haven't applied yet. I have to go to Washington dc though which is time consuming for now with his busy schedule. So I will also look into their secured cards. I'm affaird to apply for an unsecured card thinking I'm going to get denied and decrease my report. The Amex I applied was probably the wrong wrong decision though .
Message 12 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA did not even approve me for a checking account, I do not know how this would apply to a cc though.
Message 13 of 30
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
BofA did not even approve me for a checking account, I do not know how this would apply to a cc though.

No chance at all.   You best start with secured cards, and forget about unsecured for a year or 2.

Message 14 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you apply online or at a bank?

If you apply in person, bank peronnel have the option to override rejections and approve for any deposit account.  Of course, you need to convince them or offer a plausible explanation for whatever blemish that may appear on your telecheck or whatever system used.  Even Citi, the most rigid of banks allows their personnel to approve any deposit account at their discretion.

Message 15 of 30
DVH1980
Contributor

Yeah, Amex was probably a mistake, but we've all done it Smiley Happy At this point in the game, I dont think an extra INQ or 2 will hurt you. I know when I applied for USAA it was for their unsecured card and they denied me with a 611 score. They did counter with an offer for the secured card though. Only cost me 1 pull.

*USAA WORLD MC 18k* *USAA VISA 12k* *AMEX BCE 10k* *DISCOVER IT 15k* *AMEX ZYNC* *B of A SIGNATURE CASH 15k* *NAVY FEDERAL PLATINUM 20k* *CITI DOUBLE CASH 15k* *Veridian CU 14k* *Barclays Apple 12.5k*

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Open 123 for a bank account ?
Message 17 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied online for a checking account.
Message 18 of 30
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Open 123 for a bank account ?

Yes, for a banking deposit account.  Afterwards, you can apply for secured card and see if you'd be approved.

Message 19 of 30
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

@DVH1980 wrote:

USAA secured cards are much easier to obtain than their unsecured. I was able to get approved for an unsecured USAA card after having my Secured USAA for a few months. I think that is the better way to go in the long run as USAA will grow with you. You will quickly outgrow a Cap 1 card.

+1.  My thoughts exactly.  I wouldn't be gardening today if I hadn't started rebuilding my credit with a USAA secured card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.