Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommend me 1 last card for my spree

tag
TheFate
Established Contributor

Recommend me 1 last card for my spree

So I've been doing a ton of research and patiently waiting for this moment and it's finally happening. App spree here I come! I'll show you the cards I'm apping for and I'll leave it up to you guys to help me choose the last one. I'll be gardening for a few years so I gotta make this good. 

Brief history: scores range from 720-742 fico, 2 1/2 years avg age, 72k income,  1 paid derag 6 years old, 6 inq's..

Cards I'm apping for:

Sallie mae 

Discover IT

American Express BCE

And possibly US Bank+ and or Best buy

I would like to add 1 more to the lineup. What's the best thing out right now that's not on my list? The list is not set in stone yet so that can be adjusted accordingly. 

I don't travel much so maybe a cash back or rewards card. Let's hear what ya got? 

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recommend me 1 last card for my spree

That's a pretty good list, I see you have a quicksilver for everyday spend so you've pretty much got it covered if you don't travel much...maybe a freedom if you really want another one
Message 2 of 10
baller4life
Super Contributor

Chase?
Message 3 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

So I've been doing a ton of research and patiently waiting for this moment and it's finally happening. App spree here I come! I'll show you the cards I'm apping for and I'll leave it up to you guys to help me choose the last one. I'll be gardening for a few years so I gotta make this good. 

Brief history: scores range from 720-742 fico, 2 1/2 years avg age, 72k income,  1 paid derag 6 years old, 6 inq's..

Cards I'm apping for:

Sallie mae 

Discover IT

American Express BCE

I would like to add 1 more to the lineup. What's the best thing out right now that's not on my list? The list is not set in stone yet so that can be adjusted accordingly. 

I don't travel much so maybe a cash back or rewards card. Let's hear what ya got? 

Seems like a good list and there's not really any need to add anything else just for the sake of it. Freedom is an ok suggestions, but IMO, completely superfluous with your Discover.

You really could make the case that the BCE is unnessecary with the Sallie depending on your grocery/gas spend. Either way I think your list is plenty. Don't over add cards. You'll end up with rewards spread across many cards. Just my opinion

Message 4 of 10
TheFate
Established Contributor

I had freedom originally on the list but after considering what I had already and what I was apping for I didn't see a point of having both chase and discover. Maybe I should go with a travel card? It might get me to travel more if I have free spending lol

Message 5 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

I had freedom originally on the list but after considering what I had already and what I was apping for I didn't see a point of having both chase and discover. Maybe I should go with a travel card? It might get me to travel more if I have free spending lol

Eh. Most  "travel cards" with the transferrable miles require decent spend to really justify and your gut seems to be that you don't want it....remember, you can always save up your cash back and use it towards travel if you want -- nothing says you can't.

The "restricted cashback travel cards" like Arrival+ as we all know I am not a fan of.

So in either case, meh. I'd stick with cash, just by the sounds of things in your case.

Message 6 of 10
TheFate
Established Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

@TheFate wrote:

Cards I'm apping for:

Sallie mae 

Discover IT

American Express BCE

Seems like a good list and there's not really any need to add anything else just for the sake of it. Freedom is an ok suggestions, but IMO, completely superfluous with your Discover.

You really could make the case that the BCE is unnessecary with the Sallie depending on your grocery/gas spend. Either way I think your list is plenty. Don't over add cards. You'll end up with rewards spread across many cards. Just my opinion

You're right BCE was never on the list up until the last minute. I really only added them because the 3xCLI will help build a strong profile and the branded name. Also American Express is the only card Costco accepts which I frequently shop.

But yes I agree 100% on rewards clashing, thats what I was afraid of. I am also going to Hawaii in 3 weeks so maybe if I had something with 15-21 months no interest that would be beneficial. 

I'm just trying to cover all future ends because I don't see myself apping for anything for awhile so might as well get them now

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

don't adjust your lifestyle to your cards, make your cards fit your lifestyle. honestly, i think you're good unless you want an amex fidelity for your fidelity retirement if you are into that. if not then you seem good with that, and maybe even remove the BCE if your gas/grocery is under $250 a month each. don't waste your apps on useless crap like i did. you'll SD a card 2 months in and realize you wasted your time
Message 8 of 10
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
don't adjust your lifestyle to your cards, make your cards fit your lifestyle. honestly, i think you're good unless you want an amex fidelity for your fidelity retirement if you are into that. if not then you seem good with that, and maybe even remove the BCE if your gas/grocery is under $250 a month each. don't waste your apps on useless crap like i did. you'll SD a card 2 months in and realize you wasted your time

100% spot on. If you obtain a card that isn't the right fit, chances are very high you'll realize it quckly and end up SDing or closing it, so it was a waste of a HP and AAOA ding. You shouldn't try to adjust your life to fit certain cards in..."oh, if I had a travel card, maybe I'd travel more!" That may be true, but what will happen is you will likely spend more to rack up more "travel points" so you can travel, defeating the purpose of rewards. Not saying that'll happen for everyone but it can happen if you're trying to shoehorn things in that don't fit your spend/lifestyle.

Message 9 of 10
icyhot
Valued Contributor

If you do end up getting a travel card I would suggest a co-branded one for an airline/hotel that you're a member of or use frequently. Sometimes the benefits itself justify the AF (like a free room)
Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.