Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for Student CC's

tag
Radek7752
Contributor

Re: Recommendations for Student CC's

I definitely agree with shooting for the Citi Forward. It is the best student card around in my opinion. I applied for mine last week and was approved for a decent limit. It is my favorite card from Citi amongst their lackluster selection and pairs nicely with the ThankYou Preferred/Premier when you can qualify for those.
BoA: Virgin Atlantic World Elite Mastercard
Chase: Sapphire Preferred (WMC)/Freedom/Amazon/Auto Loan (41k)
Citi: Thank You Preferred/Forward/Simplicity
AmEx: Zync/Blue Cash/Starwood Preferred
Discover: IT
GE: JCP/Walmart Discover
Message 11 of 18
leoment
Frequent Contributor

Honestly, go ahead and app for both.  I'd app for the Citi Forward first, as they aren't as recon-friendly as Discover is.  Besides, currently you can app for an IT once you're out of school, but you can't app for the Forward once you leave school.

I have it and it's an excellent points-earner.  Even my local bar near campus is coded as a restaurant and earns 5x points Smiley Very Happy

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 12 of 18
Stralem
Established Contributor

All this talk of Citi is bringing back bitter memories. They practically laughed me off the phone when I applied for the student Forward more than a year ago. Ditto on my feeble recon attempt. Smiley Sad

Even now, with a Chase and Discover card under my belt, I'm too traumatized to even think about apping for a Citi card; I'd prefer dealing with freakin' Amex.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 13 of 18
leoment
Frequent Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

All this talk of Citi is bringing back bitter memories. They practically laughed me off the phone when I applied for the student Forward more than a year ago. Ditto on my feeble recon attempt. Smiley Sad

Even now, with a Chase and Discover card under my belt, I'm too traumatized to even think about apping for a Citi card; I'd prefer dealing with freakin' Amex.

Aww :\  

Citi was my second CC ever, when I was 18 (was the mtvU card, which they later converted to Forward).  I had a thin file, but they still started me with 4k.  Since you have a few cards under your belt, I'd still give it a shot.

800+ across all three (via FAKOs) has been achieved! Current goal - Get down to 6 cards in total - sitting with 8 currently.
Message 14 of 18
Stralem
Established Contributor

Nah, I'm good. The only thing I'm aiming for now is an Amex to complete my wallet. Citi isn't even in the picture.

Besides, I've got 9 INQs to age out of before I can do anything.

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 15 of 18
enharu
Super Contributor

student cards are generally easier to qualify for people with lower income and thinner files.

they're however not as forgiving for people with bad files. that's the difference.

try citi forward and discover. you should be approved.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 16 of 18
Newtocredit94
Established Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to phone CITI and Discover tomorrow, and attempt to figure out which one is best for me. Plus, I want to ask Discover about this mail offer the sent me for the "IT" because it does not stipulate that it is the student version...

1FBUSA- $2,750 ($250.00 starting limit)
Discover It- Student (4K starting limit)
Message 17 of 18
jsucool76
Super Contributor

My sister recieved a mailer invitation for the discover more (right before the IT was released) and it was not the student version, but at the time she was a full time college student. She was still approved. 

I think the app still asks if you are a student whether apping for the student card or not. 

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.