Contributor
BoSox617

Recommendations for card with travel benefits (hotels and miles)?

Hi all,

I’m thinking of applying for a credit/charge card (for excellent credit) with travel-related benefits – specifically, a card that offers rewards for use on both hotels and flights (domestic).  I like flexibility, so being forced into using a certain airline or hotel chain isn’t that appealing.  I don’t currently travel at all – so I would be earning points/miles/whatever through “regular” spending.

I have seen some pretty interesting bonuses at sign up for several cards, so it looks like one could get a significant portion of a vacation “paid” for with benefits.

How is the AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest card?  This card seems to offer flexibility in both airlines and hotels – it also offers an initial bonus of 25K Starpoints, enough for up to 6 free nights at a Category 1 or 2 hotel .  I don’t currently have an AMEX, so would that matter, or do I need to start out with some other card?

Any other recommendations? 

Thanks very much for your time. :smileyhappy:

Regular Contributor
Smerri1029

Re: Recommendations for card with travel benefits (hotels and miles)?

When you looking at a travel card there are two that I am a fan of. One is the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card which is the card I have and I have no complaints. You earn 3x points on airfare, 2x points on gas & groceries, 1x point on everything else. This helps with earning points (I opened mine in November and with the initial bonus plus my spending I am in FLA right now on a free flight I earned from my points. Also you can transfer points to partner airlines, hotels, etc... Another card which comes with a higher annual fee is the American Express Platinum card. If you are a frequent traveler the lounge access, rental car agreements, as well as plenty of other perks can make the annual fee worth it. As far as the Starwood card I am not familiar but I am sure others can comment.
What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Chase Freedom
What's In My Sock Drawer: American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Card, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Citi AA AmEx, Chase United Mileage Plus Explorer Card, Barclays US Air, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, Citi Dividend Platinum Select, LEM FCU Visa, SME FCU Visa

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+