Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners

Recommendations for card with travel benefits (hotels and miles)?

Hi all,

I’m thinking of applying for a credit/charge card (for excellent credit) with travel-related benefits – specifically, a card that offers rewards for use on both hotels and flights (domestic).  I like flexibility, so being forced into using a certain airline or hotel chain isn’t that appealing.  I don’t currently travel at all – so I would be earning points/miles/whatever through “regular” spending.

I have seen some pretty interesting bonuses at sign up for several cards, so it looks like one could get a significant portion of a vacation “paid” for with benefits.

How is the AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest card?  This card seems to offer flexibility in both airlines and hotels – it also offers an initial bonus of 25K Starpoints, enough for up to 6 free nights at a Category 1 or 2 hotel .  I don’t currently have an AMEX, so would that matter, or do I need to start out with some other card?

Any other recommendations? 

Thanks very much for your time. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Re: Recommendations for card with travel benefits (hotels and miles)?

When you looking at a travel card there are two that I am a fan of. One is the American Express Premier Rewards Gold Card which is the card I have and I have no complaints. You earn 3x points on airfare, 2x points on gas & groceries, 1x point on everything else. This helps with earning points (I opened mine in November and with the initial bonus plus my spending I am in FLA right now on a free flight I earned from my points. Also you can transfer points to partner airlines, hotels, etc... Another card which comes with a higher annual fee is the American Express Platinum card. If you are a frequent traveler the lounge access, rental car agreements, as well as plenty of other perks can make the annual fee worth it. As far as the Starwood card I am not familiar but I am sure others can comment.
What's In My Wallet:American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Business Card, American Express Costco True Earnings, Citi AA Visa, Barclays US Air, Citi Prestige
What's In My Sock Drawer: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, Bank of America Accelerated Rewards AmEx, SME FCU Visa

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.