Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations for first cards, age 15-16

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recommendations for first cards, age 15-16

This is the only credit card I'm aware of that is available to those under 18.

https://www.sccu.com/M/Personal/Loans/Credit-Cards/Student-Credit-Builder-Card
Message 11 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

AU wasn't an option for me either; I had to wait for 18. Got the Disco secured just over a year ago and look at my siggy now Smiley Happy

Unless she's going to need a car loan by 20, there's no reason to try to jump the gun... I got my third card last month and intend to garden for a good long time. The only HP I see coming up is a BOA CLI, but I'm going to be watching everything else scroll off.

Message 12 of 15
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Gray wrote:

I would like to establish a couple credit cards (small balance), secured if needed, for my 15 yo daughter (16 in Nov) to start building a credit history. I would prefer this to be a consigned arrangement with her the applicant (or vice versa). I don't want to add her as an AU to my existing accounts.

She is a member of USAA and Navy Federal, and we are Penfed members. I have cards with Citi, USAA, and Barclays.

She has had full USAA debit cards since age 8, so this isn't for the purpose of making purchases, although she will use them strategically to maintain utilization.

Any recommendations?  Thank you

In most states, it is illegal to issue credit cards to minors. Banks do not want to be fined even if the applicants lie about the residence state.

Minors won't have the credit profile until they turn 18.  You can check Experian etc.

The best way to get a early start with the credit profile is to get him/her as an AU with a well established credit card, high CL and excellent credit.  

Many banks do not even do co-applicnats any more.  More legal problems.  But some banks may still do.

If the minor has a solid credit profile (as an AU) and good banking relationship, it is not hard to the minor to open new unsecured CCs when the minor turns 18.  Discover, AmEx Blue Cash, Citi and BA all have student credit cards.  It is just fine to start with a $500 credit line and build up from there.

Good luck.

Message 13 of 15
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Gray wrote:
The key here is to get her profiles generated so that when she is 18, she's not a non-entity (for when she does want to apply for credit in her own name).

I'll talk to USAA and Navy Federal. Thanks

The only way to get her on her profile is for her to be someone's AU.  If you do not want to do it, then her profile will be just empty.  A 15-year old can't borrow on her own.

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

We had to do it as an AU because of him being a minor. once he turned 18 he already had a CS of 780 and the offers were hitting the mail box like crazy for him. Now he has his own capital one and discover.
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.