cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations on CC would be immensely appreciated.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recommendations on CC would be immensely appreciated.

Hey guys. Hats off to all of you in your impressive navigation in this wild, winding, complex game they call credit rebuilding.

I have researched and researched,
But I think I need to lay all of my info out to the pros to help me figure out exactly which CC to apply for. Here we go:

EQ: 630 EX:608 TU: 627

Here's the situation. I have a car loan (16k), a secured NFCU card ($500, 0% utilization), and anywhere from 4-6 medical collections depending on the report. Also students loan always paid on time. AAoA 2.5 years-4 years depending on report. I was a joint card holder on my moms Macy's card, which is paid in full and closed, however she made 4 late payments that won't fall off until the end of next year.

10-15 inquiries on each report,
Most from over a year ago when car shopping (I wasn't getting approved for ANYTHING until my fiancé and I applied together, even though his score is similar but for different reasons).

What I need: To get our scores better for a home Loan In about a year, our lender said that I need to open some more credit and he needs to pay down his balances. After further research I agree, my credit mix is not that great.

In an effort to hit 3 birds with one stone, I would like a card that
1) has a BT intro so we can transfer all of his balances and get his score up
2) has a high limit to not only cover those (~5k), since you mostly have to transfer within the first month, but to cover some of the cost of our wedding next year. The higher the limit the better so that I can keep my utilization low even with his balances transferred.
3) increase my credit mix and on time payments

I know my credit isn't optimal for a great card, but it's been hopping up pretty quickly since I opened the secured card and have made all of my payments on time. I realize waiting would be best, but we really want to get his balances transferred so we can pay that off and then use some of the limit for booking the wedding.

A tall order, I know. 15k would be a miracle.
I live in Tn, and have checking accounts with US bank, though we have overdrafted a few times there on accident (I don't know if they consider that).
I checked the pre qualify sites, and it looks like capital one and discover would at least give me a low limit. But I don't want to waste an HP on a low limit. Especially after reading that Capitol one pulls all three.

Please let me know of any advice you may have, keeping in mind that we need to start using something in the next month or two months. I so appreciate all of you and think you are rockstars.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Recommendations on CC would be immensely appreciated.

I would remove myself from the Macys card, and ask to be added to anything that is a year old that she has in good standing.

I don't see how you can can count on your score going up 9 bad marks that are recent. I would take out a personal loan at 10% pay collections off and ask in letter to pay for deletes
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

The account is closed, so I'm not sure if they would let me remove myself. I think I could had I been an authorized user, but I was a joint. As far as the score going up, that Macy's late was in 2007 so hopefully it won't cause it to go down anymore than it has. It's been going up consistently since the car loan and secured card and no new collections.

Which loan might you recommend?
And I've read a bit on pay-for-deletes - does that generally work? Thanks!
Message 3 of 4
Sbrooks1
Valued Contributor

This is a long journey and not a sprint. You will not get. High limit cards for a while. But, keep progressing and eventually😬Hopefully they will come!! Best of luck
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.