cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations on next moves before going into the Garden?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recommendations on next moves before going into the Garden?

Hello there-  this board is absolutely invaluable in helping me repair my credit.  I've learned so much over the past 6 months.

My boyfriend and I were able to close on our first mortgage last week, and that was HUGE!  The APR was not great, so I want to continue to improve my scores so we can get a better rate in a year or two.

Currently my scores are EQ- 665, TU- 694, EX- 663.

I have one collection for $238 that is due to fall off my report in March 2017, one paid tax lein that was paid off in 2010, and a series of late payments on a car loan back in 2010.

In my wallet I have a Cap One Quicksilver with a 3000K limit ($500 balance), a new Chase Slate  also with a $3K limit (brand new- no balance), and a Brandsource card (Citi) with a $3K revolving line (zero balance) to buy appliances.   I just got rid of Credit One (YEAH!) today.  That card was such a bummer, but I kept it intact through the mortgage process.

My question is, what should I do in order to optimize the credit tradelines while in the garden?  Is there anything else I should add?  The Cap One card has decent cash back on all purchases, so I tend to run a lot through that one and just pay it off every month.  The Brandsource card will be used to finance some appliances we'll need, adn there is an 18 month zero apr on that.   With the Slate card, I'll just use it minimally each month to keep it active.  I really don't need another card, but if carrying another tradeline and paying it timely will help, I'll do it!

Suggestions?  And thank you very much in advance. =0)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Recommendations on next moves before going into the Garden?

First off congrats on your new home!!!! To be honest unless you find a card that you must absolutely need to improve your life I would just keep what you got and make no changes. You have 3 cards and a mortgage that's all you really need to optimize your scores. Once your baddies fall off, which is right around the corner, your scores are going to get a boost. I assume your looking to refinance in the future for a better apr, if so just keep on paying and building positive history while keeping your utilization down. Congrats again, your doing great!!!
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with creditguy. No need to get any more cards unless you have a specific way they will help you. 0therwise, keep paying regularly as needed and your score will keep rising. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

PC the slate into something else. It sounds like you got it for no reason. I would see about a PC to the normal freedom (not the FU, the QS does the same thing). No sense in using a card with no rewards just to keep it active. That's a waste.
Message 4 of 5
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello there-  this board is absolutely invaluable in helping me repair my credit.  I've learned so much over the past 6 months.

My boyfriend and I were able to close on our first mortgage last week, and that was HUGE!  The APR was not great, so I want to continue to improve my scores so we can get a better rate in a year or two.

Currently my scores are EQ- 665, TU- 694, EX- 663.

I have one collection for $238 that is due to fall off my report in March 2017, one paid tax lein that was paid off in 2010, and a series of late payments on a car loan back in 2010.

In my wallet I have a Cap One Quicksilver with a 3000K limit ($500 balance), a new Chase Slate  also with a $3K limit (brand new- no balance), and a Brandsource card (Citi) with a $3K revolving line (zero balance) to buy appliances.   I just got rid of Credit One (YEAH!) today.  That card was such a bummer, but I kept it intact through the mortgage process.

My question is, what should I do in order to optimize the credit tradelines while in the garden?  Is there anything else I should add?  The Cap One card has decent cash back on all purchases, so I tend to run a lot through that one and just pay it off every month.  The Brandsource card will be used to finance some appliances we'll need, adn there is an 18 month zero apr on that.   With the Slate card, I'll just use it minimally each month to keep it active.  I really don't need another card, but if carrying another tradeline and paying it timely will help, I'll do it!

Suggestions?  And thank you very much in advance. =0)

I agree with the advice you've been given by the above posters:

1. you don't need any more cards to maximize your scoring

2. you should try to pc the slate to a freedom card or some other chase product that would be more useful

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.