09Lexie

Re: Recommendations on which cards to use for monthly expenses?

New Contributor
rex_03

Good on ya OP. you have a great collection there.. Yes, the CSP can be for dining anywhere, and it's 2X points. I use it all the time.. Stay in the garden,and I do support ya, as I know that new card temptation, believe me.. It's good though to look for cards down the road though as a goal.
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

PleasantlySurprised wrote:

@ rex_03 & longtimelurker:

Thanks for the suggestions!!  I will keep those in mind for the future.  Unfortunately I'm in the garden right now...for a long, long time (see, MJ? Still in the garden despite the temptation!  :smileyhappy:).  Most of my cards have been opened in just over the last 2 months, so I need to cool it for now.  The AmEx is definitely on my list for next year and possibly PenFed too, now that you mention it.  

Lol

Ok you got me 

I was watching tho :smileytongue:

Amex Amex Amex:smileywink:

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney

09Lexie wrote:
That's what we are here for!

+1

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/13

Contributor
pkosheta

Depending on your 'other' catergories, consider U.S. Bank Cash+.

it has a 5/2/1 structure, but has a $25 bonus when you cash in at least 100 dollars in rewards (only once a year though)

effectively 1.25% 'other', 2.5% Gas or Groceries or Pharmacy (looks like gas should be your choice here), and 6.25% 2 selected catergories from a long list.

If you find that the spend a few hundred a month in the 5% catergories that they have it could be a cash cow.  Electronic Stores and Dept. Stores are my go to catergories most quarters.  though furniture stores, hotels, restaurants, or fast food could also a winner for you.  

You do have to apply in branch now, so if you do not have a us bank nearby it could be a problem.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi Hilton Reserve 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Super Contributor
longtimelurker

pkosheta wrote:

Depending on your 'other' catergories, consider U.S. Bank Cash+.

it has a 5/2/1 structure, but has a $25 bonus when you cash in at least 100 dollars in rewards (only once a year though)

effectively 1.25% 'other', 2.5% Gas or Groceries or Pharmacy (looks like gas should be your choice here), and 6.25% 2 selected catergories from a long list.

If you find that the spend a few hundred a month in the 5% catergories that they have it could be a cash cow.  Electronic Stores and Dept. Stores are my go to catergories most quarters.  though furniture stores, hotels, restaurants, or fast food could also a winner for you.  

You do have to apply in branch now, so if you do not have a us bank nearby it could be a problem.

The effective 1.25 etc, was only true when the $25 bonus was unlimited.   Now the effective rate is "between 1 and 1.25%", "between 2 and 2.5%" etc, the more you spend, the lower the figure.

Contributor
wche

I recommend Sallie Mae world MC

5 percent gas up to 250
5 percent groceries up to 250
5 percent bookstores up to 750
1 percent everything else
BOA Better Rewards: 5K | Citi Forward: 8.6K | Chase Freedom: 10K | Discover IT: 7K | Amex BlueSky: 12.4K | Chase IHG: 5K | Sallie Mae: 9K | Chase CSP: 8.4K | Barclays Rewards 3k

TU FICO 771

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}