Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended Credit Cards

tag
Country_Feller
Valued Contributor

Re: Recommended Credit Cards

@smkkms78 wrote:

So, I thought I would provide an update. I complained, but ultimately was approved without any other contact. So this day I ended up applying for a basic AmEX $1500, the Citi Double Rewards $3600, and the Chase Slate $2500. Although 2 of the 3 gave me the 7-10 day message, they all gave me the cards. Not the highest of limits, but a start. Just a lesson to not freak out over the message. It might be because I opted out of credit pre-approval offers a few years back?

Awesome, Congratulations!!!!

myFICO=EQ 702, TU 716, EX 743br>EQ=11//TU=15//EX=11/Util 14%. Gardening since 01/02/2017.

Message 11 of 13
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@smkkms78 wrote:

Although 2 of the 3 gave me the 7-10 day message, they all gave me the cards. Not the highest of limits, but a start. Just a lesson to not freak out over the message. It might be because I opted out of credit pre-approval offers a few years back?

Never assume outcome based on "X days".  All that means is that manual intervention is required to reach a decision.  The outcome all depends on the findings.  We have no idea what may or may not have been a concern/issue for your particular application.  Opting out would not be relevant.  That's for marketing.

@smkkms78 wrote:

IMy score when last checked a month ago is 780.

You don't have just one score.  There are 3 major CRA's and many scoring models used by different creditors/products.  Typically for a given model you have a score with each CRA.  Are you sure that Citi used a TU FICO 8 for you?

@smkkms78 wrote:

Maybe 780 isn't good enough for that card. I know there are a ton of factors, but I hate to waste credit inquiries on denials. Any advice is appreciated.

Inquiries are a relatively small factor.  If your profile is significantly affected by 1 HP then you have some bigger issues with your credit that you need to address.

In addition to the question of whether or not your TU FICO 8 was relevant to Citi, it's never just about score.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Curious what "basic" AmEx you got. Blue cash everyday or preferred are good general use cards.

I would have recommended Freedom over Slate but Discover & Double cash are good.

I would garden for a bit and see how you like the ones you have before applying for more.
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.