cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended unsecured CC for rebuilding?

tag
CreditZen

Recommended unsecured CC for rebuilding?

I currently have a cap1 secured cc that I use montly and PIF every month. I would like to apply for an unsecure cc to help with rebuilding my credit. What are some of the better cards that I might be approved for with decent terms? Ideally it would also be nice to find one that i might be approved for that might offer CLI in the future.

Also would it be better to just open a retail card wtih Best Buy or something similar to help instead of a credit card?

Thanks!

EQ - 664

EXP - 651

TU - 628

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

Re: Recommended unsecured CC for rebuilding?

aside from your credit scores lenders will condier inquiries, baddies, income and assets, payment history, residence, etc

With fico scores alone it is really card to say what you might have a shot at

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 2 of 7
Tikon
Established Member

If you really need to rebuild, orchard bank is a classic choice. They are nice because their application preapproves you for a card to fit you. You'll usually end up with an annual fee, though.

Capitalone is a good choice as well since you have a secured card with them (assuming you have a good history with them). With your FICO scores I think you'll easily qualify regardless of your report. The're geared towards people rebuilding. I know a lot of people new to credit or rebuilding who got a cap1, the only drawback being it won't grow. I have ~40k in revolving credit but my capitalone is stuck at 1.5k for example.

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 3 of 7
Tikon
Established Member

Oh and if you get desperate enough gas cards and store cards (as you mentioned) are pretty sure bets. I still have Jcpenny/Kohls/Goodys/Chevron/Shell although together they only add up to ~$2000 they are all very old and contribute nicely to my account age. I try to put one transaction a year through em to keep them going

Credit cards: $5400 AmEx BlueCash Everyday, $5000 BOA Signature Visa, $5500 Discover, $4000 Citi Plat Select, $1500 CapitalOne Platinum, $5000 B&N Barclaycard, $5000 Elan Financial, $4700 Chase Freedom, $2000 CapitalOne Journey (AU), $500 Chase Amazon, $600 Shell, $500 Kohls, $500 Goodys, $450 JCPenny
Message 4 of 7
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

The word 'desparate' and rebuilding are not a good match. As apinful as it is you must focus on getting some solid payment history going that is on time and in full. After 6-12 months you will see improvement in your scores across the board

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 5 of 7
CreditZen

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. A little more info for my situation; right now I have a cap1 secured card (0 balance, excellent payment history), also a secured cap 1 loan with also excellent payments (almost payed off), and my total D2C ratio is 22%. 

The baddies on my reports are from 3 old accounts (Verizon, etc) that were turned over to collection, but are now payed off in full. 

And since my revolving credit is so low from the secured cap1 card, I wanted to increase it but wasn't sure about what card to try to apply for. My worst fear is applying for an unsecured and being declined.

Thanks!

Message 6 of 7
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@CreditZen wrote:

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. A little more info for my situation; right now I have a cap1 secured card (0 balance, excellent payment history), also a secured cap 1 loan with also excellent payments (almost payed off), and my total D2C ratio is 22%. 

The baddies on my reports are from 3 old accounts (Verizon, etc) that were turned over to collection, but are now payed off in full. 

And since my revolving credit is so low from the secured cap1 card, I wanted to increase it but wasn't sure about what card to try to apply for. My worst fear is applying for an unsecured and being declined.

Thanks!

I suggest you apply for a Capital One unsecured card.   Use their website to see which they recommend.  

They gave me a larger CL (36%) than I had with the secured card and then raised it at 6 months.   It may be worth your while to increase the deposit and wait a bit before applying if you want a significantly larger Cl than you have.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.