cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon CSP

tag
matopek

Recon CSP

Just apped for the Chase Sapphire Preferred card for the benefits/points bonus. I got the "Application under review, check back in two weeks" message and tried the automated status line. No information on there either, so I called up the recon line for app status. Person on phone said application was denied (after putting me on hold for about a minute), and cited the reasons (Too many inquiries, 1 new card from Chase over a month ago, two other new cards, debt ratio because of student loan (although she said payments were deferred on that...implying that maybe that is fine)).

Card portfolio:

Chase Freedom- $2.5K Opened April 13

Amex Blue - $2K Opened April 13

Discover - $750 Opened Nov 12

Cap One - $500 Opened May 12

Barclays - $250 Opened April 13

BOA - $700 - Opened May 13

I know CSP requires line of $5K. I was thinking that I am due for an Amex 3x CLI in a few weeks, and may bump that up to 6K limit. Also got a recent auto CLI from Discover. Also, no bad things on report, spotless payment history.

Is it worth calling the recon line again for a second time? I kind of only called the first time to seek application status, and wrote down denial reasons. The person on the phone seemed rather rushed so I figured I'd wait to recon. I figured I already took the HP for this application.

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
drinkthekoolaid
Valued Member

Re: Recon CSP

The CSP is one of their top tier cards, and the generally like to to see the 5 k limit before they grant the card. I have seen it where someone got approved without it but they had great income like 70,000+ and had a good amount of low limit cards. From your profile it seems they want you to build some payment history with Chase with that Freedom before they give you more credit on another card.. Let the accounts age, and then after you AMEX CLI reports you can try again but its a 50/50 shot. Always can recon again with a different rep since you did already take the HP and it can't hurt to try again! 

AMEX BCE - $27,000 ~ Chase Sapphire Preferred VISA SIGNATURE- $24,000~ AMEX Platinum -$NPSL ~ Citi Diamond Preferred $10,000
USAA MASTERCARD - $10,000 Commerce Bank Visa $8,000~
USAA Student VISA - $1,000 ~ Chase Freedom - $500
Message 2 of 21
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

I don't think they will approve because I was in the same place as you like 2 months ago, but I had no cards under 1000, since you got the chase freedom they will want to see you use it first... Just like me.... And also having a CL of 5k+ or similar is better

BCE- 50 k-BOA 123 100k -Freedom unlimited-95k- Citi DC- 200k-CSR 175k
Garden mode

Message 3 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

Chase would prefer you already have a 5k limit though that isn't an absolute requirement. I would recommend you try again in 6-12 months.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Although I agree with the others about Chase I also think why not try again?. Chances are slim with the recent accts and relatively low CL's but its worth trying. In the future it's always best to app when your cr are optimal and coincide with that lenders standards for approval.

Good luck if you decide to recon.
Message 5 of 21
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

Off topic but I wish someone can make a post of there experience getting the CSP( as I want one too Smiley Sad...)...

From denial towards finally getting it lol...( not through recon), like what did they to finally getting approved

Garden mode

Message 6 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

Jae, it really isn't hard to get the CSP. Manage your finances well, and let time do the rest. That's all there is to getting most of the credit cards out there. The only exceptions are those really hard to get cards such as the centurion, palladium, etc because there's a minimum asset / spend requirement.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 7 of 21
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Not so much the limits on your other cards but more like the history with your cards. I would have waited for that CLI on the Amex and then went for it after it reported. Think that would have done it
Message 8 of 21
kobe2012
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:
Jae, it really isn't hard to get the CSP. Manage your finances well, and let time do the rest. That's all there is to getting most of the credit cards out there. The only exceptions are those really hard to get cards such as the centurion, palladium, etc because there's a minimum asset / spend requirement.

I agree with enharu.... before I got my first chase card, I thought that CSP is only for people with really high income.... but after reading so much success stories on this forum, I think it's just another credit card that almost anyone of us can get.... with decent scores and ok income... and chase is also great on recons .... although I do not have this card, I do have two chase cards, freedom and slate that were both approved on recon, only 6 months apart between approvals... my  freedom card that went from $500 to $1000 to $5000 in 6 months...... (cli denied but reconned from 1k to 5k w/ no hp).... I'm thinkin twice now if I want this card, other than it's metal, I do not think i have a use for it since I do not travel much.... but maybe....

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 9 of 21
JaeJae12
Frequent Contributor

I'm in the garden waiting to reapply Lols( I want the card cus my Fam travels quite abit.. For vacations

Garden mode

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.