Valued Contributor

Re: Recon: Chase SP

@iCoop wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

My biggest concern at this point is that I have three HPs, now - arguably more:

1. applying to BCE

2. applying to CS

3. applying to CSP

...and a possible 4th or 5th HP from recons. I don't know if I want to try to apply for Freedom if they've denied me based off of thin file. 

The trick is to put a security freeze on your reports. When you do this Chase will not pull a HP and will instead use your last report they pulled if it is recent enough. I know this because it's what I just recently did with them. I unlocked my credit files for one day only. Chase pulled my credit profile during that one day open window and within 30 days they used the same report for each request I had after that which included: applying for two more Chase cards and requesting two CLI on card activation. My files were frozen when all the requests were made after the initial one and not once did I get the response denied due to reports being frozen.

While yes it can happen it is all YMMV

I believe I took 4 HP's from  applying for the CSP, Marriott . Freedom and CS. I am not 100% sure since I can't get my EX report for some reason . 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 31 of 35
xerostatus
Regular Contributor

I'd wait at least a year for those INQs to age a bit, and then show positive history with that Amex card. It'll set you up pretty well for the Freedom in the near future. Meanwhile, as you garden, you can regularly check Chase's prequalify site, as those have been shown to be fairly indicative of approval.

And if you do successfully get a few amex 3x CLIs along the way, then you might get that 5000+ credit line which anecdotally is a loose requirement for CSP approval in the future, as well.

Message 32 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied for Freedom, just now. Called recon for status update. They told me that the system automatically denied me due to excess applications. They took a second look, asked me about my job, about my home (I listed ownership/no mortgage) on the application - I told them I live with my parents... Didn't take very long for them to cite thin file again. They told me to apply once I get some history with AMEX. 

Looks like Chase won't be an option at all, at least for now. 

I need to start growing roots in the garden, because applying to just about anything right now is a terrible, terrible idea. 

Message 33 of 35
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Applied for Freedom, just now. Called recon for status update. They told me that the system automatically denied me due to excess applications. They took a second look, asked me about my job, about my home (I listed ownership/no mortgage) on the application - I told them I live with my parents... Didn't take very long for them to cite thin file again. They told me to apply once I get some history with AMEX. 

I need to start growing roots in the garden, because applying to just about anything right now is a terrible, terrible idea. 

Sorry for the decline. I understand how frustrating it is to get declined for having no history. How are you supposed to get history if no one wants to give it to you? They wouldn't give me a card when I had nothing either, but that was four years ago and there are many people on here getting approved for $500 or $1000 with no history so it's unfortunate that they won't give you anything. Maybe after six months of the American Express you'll get approved.

Message 34 of 35
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My foot in the door with Chase was actually with the Amazon card.  I had several denials from Chase for Freedom and eventually got frustrated and applied for Amazon instead and was instantly approved for 2k.  Maybe 2 months later I was instantly approved for Freedom for 4.5k. 

My Journey with Chase went like this

Freedom denial X3 or 4...

Amazon instant approval 2k

Freedom instant approval 4.5k

Marriott instant approval 5k

Move Amazon limit to Freedom now 6.5k

Close Amazon

The next step in my journey with Chase will be CSP 10k!!  surely... this winter when I have enough spending planned to meet the bonus requirements.

Chase loves relationships and IMO Amazon is the easiest way to sneak in.

Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.