Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon and Best Buy questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Recon and Best Buy questions

My girlfriend applied and was denied for either of the best buy accounts. Anyone have luck with a recon with them?

Also and more importantly, Is there a consensus on what should be said when asking for a recon? I've never done it before.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Recon and Best Buy questions

Who is the bank backing the card?

What's her credit look like??  What was their reason for the decline?

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is I don't know what her current credit is, she had a BK in 2007 her FICO scores last checked (Feb 09) TU 592 EX 674 EQ 636. They are backed by HSBC and I'm not sure who they pulled, they said payment history was reason for denial, with the BK her payment history has suffered.
Message 3 of 8
FicoScore626
Frequent Contributor

I'm in New Jersey and they pulled Equifax for me.
Message 4 of 8
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My girlfriend applied and was denied for either of the best buy accounts. Anyone have luck with a recon with them?

Also and more importantly, Is there a consensus on what should be said when asking for a recon? I've never done it before.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Hi Cyrion...

I don't know if there is a consensus on what should be said, but I recently had a successful recon with Discover, and I believe a combination of two factors worked for me.

First, I believed that the reason I was given for the denial was in error. Therefore, I was able to call and clarify what they were seeing on my credit report.

Second, I was nice, nice, and nice.

They agreed with me, and a denial turned into a card with a $13k+ credit limit.

If she was denied for her payment history, then perhaps giving an explanation for the payment history may help. Also, has her payment history improved lately? If so, that may help. And...if she decides to call...be nice, nice, nice. A former CSR here told us that anger gets you nowhere, and I believe that to be correct.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks LynetteM, Denial to $13k would be nice Smiley Very Happy
Message 6 of 8
Mace
Valued Member

Did you try the recon? If so, how did it go?
2007 - All Scores low 500's
06 DEC 2010 - EQ 696: TU (FAKO) 720: EX (FAKO) 730 (650 pulled by GMAC)
3/10 BBRZMC $100, 9/12 $700, 01/18 $1500; 9/10 USAA Plat. MC $3000; 12/10 Barclaycard (iTunes) Visa $2500 now $4200, 12/17 $3200; 12/10 Citi Forward Visa $5000, 6/11 $6200 (closed); 12/10 AMEX Zync; 4/11 BofA CR Sig Visa $5000, 3/17 $7700; 9/12 AMEX Hilton HHonors Surpass $1000; 9/12 Discover IT $1000, 9/17 $3800; 10/17 NFCU GoRewards $4100; 08/17 TR Visa $1000
Message 7 of 8
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

you can't recon household bank denials. they are computer generated decisions
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.