Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon chances with Citi and Capital One

tag
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

Recon chances with Citi and Capital One

I've been reading thoroughly through these forums over the last two weeks, and I've learned more here than I ever thought I would know about credit cards and credit reports, so I want to thank you all.

My one and only credit card up until two weeks ago was a capital one platinum card, which I've diligently paid on time every month. I recently went to find out if I can get a CLI, which they were kind enough to give me, bumping my CL from $750 to $1.25K. The increase got me interested in finding out more about my credit score and the possibilities of new cards, which led me to this forum. I found out through Capital One credit tracker that my score was 708 (TU) and scores from the other bureaus were in the same range 692 (EX) 688 (EQ). I learned that I needed to improve my credit utilization (67%), and the combination of paying off the Platinum (which will be done next week), and adding a few cards to my collection with accomplish this. After long nights of reading through dozens of threads and posts I decided to apply for a few cards.

I applied for the Amex BCE, for which I was promptly approved, to my surprise. It was a moonshot, in my opinion, especially as it would be my second card ever. The bubble burst after I applied for the Capital One VentureOne card and was denied, but I kept pressing on. The Chase Freedom, Discover it, and a PC from Platinum to QuicksilverOne were all approved within three days last week, a day after the denial.

Yesterday, I decided to apply for two more cards. I decided on the Citi Simplicity, and the Amex Gold Delta. The former was denied, and the latter was approved. In total, I was four for six on apps over the last two weeks, bumping my available credit from $750 to $6.5K in less than a month. 

With the successes I've had with notoriously difficult lenders like Amex, should I use that as leverage to recon the VentureOne and Simplicity cards, or leave well enough alone?

760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Recon chances with Citi and Capital One

@MrCollector wrote:

I've been reading thoroughly through these forums over the last two weeks, and I've learned more here than I ever thought I would know about credit cards and credit reports, so I want to thank you all.

My one and only credit card up until two weeks ago was a capital one platinum card, which I've diligently paid on time every month. I recently went to find out if I can get a CLI, which they were kind enough to give me, bumping my CL from $750 to $1.25K. The increase got me interested in finding out more about my credit score and the possibilities of new cards, which led me to this forum. I found out through Capital One credit tracker that my score was 708 (TU) and scores from the other bureaus were in the same range 692 (EX) 688 (EQ). I learned that I needed to improve my credit utilization (67%), and the combination of paying off the Platinum (which will be done next week), and adding a few cards to my collection with accomplish this. After long nights of reading through dozens of threads and posts I decided to apply for a few cards.

I applied for the Amex BCE, for which I was promptly approved, to my surprise. It was a moonshot, in my opinion, especially as it would be my second card ever. The bubble burst after I applied for the Capital One VentureOne card and was denied, but I kept pressing on. The Chase Freedom, Discover it, and a PC from Platinum to QuicksilverOne were all approved within three days last week, a day after the denial.

Yesterday, I decided to apply for two more cards. I decided on the Citi Simplicity, and the Amex Gold Delta. The former was denied, and the latter was approved. In total, I was four for six on apps over the last two weeks, bumping my available credit from $750 to $6.5K in less than a month. 

With the successes I've had with notoriously difficult lenders like Amex, should I use that as leverage to recon the VentureOne and Simplicity cards, or leave well enough alone?

Congrats!   You took the HP for the Venture, so you should absolutely recon it!  Recons are just another SP, so there's no harm no foul

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 4
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Citi has been better with reconsideration in the last few months so its worth a try: (866) 606-2961
Message 3 of 4
MrCollector
Regular Contributor

Called Capital One and asked for a manual review, which they said would be completed within 15 business days (seems like a long time to me). Citi said I have to wait for the letter to arrive. Is Citi known for being tougher to get than Amex?

760 (TU) 755 (EX) 740 (EQ)

Chase Sapphire Reserve | Hilton Aspire | Amex EveryDay | World of Hyatt | Aviator Red | AAdvantage Platinum Select | Citi Premier | United Mileage Plus | Discover It
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.