cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon chase freedom?

tag
credit_noob

Recon chase freedom?

Hey everyone! I recently posted about starting to apply for credit cards, and the forum has provided quite valuable infornation about starting off. I am currently 18 and a student in college with ~11000 income (over the summer). I originally applied for the cgase freedom and was denied for short history, and attempted a recon, but failed. (This was four days ago). Since then, I have applied for the bofa student travel rewards card (approved with 800 cl), the amex pr gold (approved), and the amex bce (approved but don't know limit yet). I had a 797 EX score when I checked 7/30, but I don't know my other scores yet. Anyways, I was wondering if I should try the recon line with chase again, or if I should jusylt wait a couple of months and try again. Thanks!!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Recon chase freedom?

@credit_noob wrote:
Hey everyone! I recently posted about starting to apply for credit cards, and the forum has provided quite valuable infornation about starting off. I am currently 18 and a student in college with ~11000 income (over the summer). I originally applied for the cgase freedom and was denied for short history, and attempted a recon, but failed. (This was four days ago). Since then, I have applied for the bofa student travel rewards card (approved with 800 cl), the amex pr gold (approved), and the amex bce (approved but don't know limit yet). I had a 797 EX score when I checked 7/30, but I don't know my other scores yet. Anyways, I was wondering if I should try the recon line with chase again, or if I should jusylt wait a couple of months and try again. Thanks!!

first congrats on the approvals! as for chase, it's worth another recon...but if you're still denied, then yes i would let your new accounts age, increase your AAoA and then try again Smiley Happy i'd wait at least 6 months...a year would be best to get more history under your file...and since you got approved for others, i'm sure chase can wait a bit Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 11
Dreamwalker
New Contributor

Unless you were using a 'couple of months' liberally, you should recon now. Otherwise wait six months and try again. If you wait just a couple of months then you have all of this recently obtained credit, and the inquries (and possibly a lower AAoA).

Congrats on the cards. Amex thinks I have too much in student loans.

Edit:Ninja'd.

Walmart Store Card: $600 & Amazon Store Card: $1200
Amazon.com Visa: $500 & Chase Freedom: $3000
US Bank REI Visa Signature: $5500
Discover It: $100

TU-654 [03/18/2014]
Message 3 of 11
JonStur
Established Contributor

You can always try there is no harm in that. However, your history is still short to them because you haven't established a pattern of showing you can be responsible with credit yet... Even if you do convince them to extend credit, it will probably be a small limit. Establish yourself and Chase can be generous... It's up to you to decide whether its worth the wait..Welcome to the Forum and good luck!!!!

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 4 of 11
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Exactly, like JonStur said, there's no harm in trying.  It will only cost you a few minutes of your time, and the reward if you're successful is NICE!

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 5 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

Use the cards you have if you got in with Amex with a short history then build from there and if after 6 months of CC history you still want a Chase CC go for it then.

Congrats on the CC's 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 11
credit_noob

Sorry, another dumb question. When I recon, should I mention my new cards or no? I assume that the credit report they look at would be the one that they initially pulled for my application?

Message 7 of 11
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@credit_noob wrote:

Sorry, another dumb question. When I recon, should I mention my new cards or no? I assume that the credit report they look at would be the one that they initially pulled for my application?

It will be another HP.  You are asking Chase to re-review the original decision so they will not use the same report - or may reference some of that information with a new one.  They may also pull an alternate CR which could potentially show them your other recent inquiries.

Message 8 of 11
myjourney
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@credit_noob wrote:

It will be another HP.  You are asking Chase to re-review the original decision so they will not use the same report - or may reference some of that information with a new one.  They may also pull an alternate CR which could potentially show them your other recent inquiries.

+1 correct

which is why i suggested wait 6 months and try again

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 11
cjpar007

First off, Congrats on being responsible, and getting started on your credit history early, unlike the majority of clueless college students.

The chase freedom is a great card, but there are other cards that are very similar that can be beneficial to you. I would recommend the Discover It for Students, you earn 1% on all purchases, plus 5% on categories that rotate every quarter. In addition, it comes with exceptional benefits, and security features.

I can tell you from experience that if you do get approved for the chase freedom through a recon, you will most likely get the high 22.9% APR and it would apply indefinitely even if you manage the account well, and pay the balance in full. That's what happened to me. However, you are on the right track, but don't apply for too many accounts if you dont need them. As you can see, I made that mistake and it would really knocked my score. Best wishes!

Bank of America Better Balance Rewards (10K) 03/2010

Citi Forward (5K) (06/2011)

Best Buy (4,2K) (05/2011)

Discover It (2,5k) (10/2011)

Chase Freedom (5,5K) (02/2012)

Citi Thank You Preferred (8K) (03/2012)

Citi Thank You (6,5K) (04/2012)

Citi Dividend (3K) (06/2012)

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.