Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon chase freedom?

tag
sergi0wned
Contributor

Re: Recon chase freedom?

@cjpar007 wrote:

First off, Congrats on being responsible, and getting started on your credit history early, unlike the majority of clueless college students.

The chase freedom is a great card, but there are other cards that are very similar that can be beneficial to you. I would recommend the Discover It for Students, you earn 1% on all purchases, plus 5% on categories that rotate every quarter. In addition, it comes with exceptional benefits, and security features.

I can tell you from experience that if you do get approved for the chase freedom through a recon, you will most likely get the high 22.9% APR and it would apply indefinitely even if you manage the account well, and pay the balance in full. That's what happened to me. However, you are on the right track, but don't apply for too many accounts if you dont need them. As you can see, I made that mistake and it would really knocked my score. Best wishes!

This is very sound advice! 

I'm a 19 year old student and I was recently approved for the Discover It with about 4 months of revolving credit history. I applied for the Chase Freedom and was denied after 4 recons, including one through the EO, for the same reason as you. Chase really likes to see 6+ months of credit history, and I got the impression that that's something they're not willing to budge on (one analyst even told me that everything looked great and there was nothing bad on the report, just not enough good stuff yet.)

If you do want a 1% and rotating 5% card back, the Discover It for Students is great, like cjpar007 said. I have it and it's my favorite card in my wallet. I've been nothing but satisfied with my Discover, and have also been enjoying the cashback bonuses! 

20 years old | 4 Cards in my wallet | TU (3/28/14) 743
January 2013 - 1st Financial Bank USA Platinum VISA ($500 --> $1,500)
June 2013- Discover IT Student ($1,500 --> $1,800 --> $2,100), Citi Forward Student ($1,500 --> $2,900)
December 2013 - Macy's American Express ($1,000 --> $3,000)
February 2014 - American Express Blue Cash Everyday ($3,000), Chase Freedom ($2,000)
April 2014 - Sallie Mae MasterCard ($3,800)
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.