Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recon with Discover - Advice?

tag
logan_720
Established Contributor

Recon with Discover - Advice?

So tomorrow I am going to try and recon with Discover and see if I can get an approval for the Discover More card. I have had experience reconning with Chase, as well as Barclay. As I understood it, Barclay was an easy bank to recon with, my question now is; 

Have any of you had experience talking with Discover CSR's or Credit Analysts? If so, what is it like compared to reconning with other banks? I have read that their CSR's etc really have a lot more knowledge that some others. Anyway, advice/past experience is appreciated! 

Thanks Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Recon with Discover - Advice?

@logan_720 wrote:

So tomorrow I am going to try and recon with Discover and see if I can get an approval for the Discover More card. I have had experience reconning with Chase, as well as Barclay. As I understood it, Barclay was an easy bank to recon with, my question now is; 

Have any of you had experience talking with Discover CSR's or Credit Analysts? If so, what is it like compared to reconning with other banks? I have read that their CSR's etc really have a lot more knowledge that some others. Anyway, advice/past experience is appreciated! 

Thanks Smiley Happy

What was your denial reasons and have you recieved their letter yet?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 17
logan_720
Established Contributor

Well apparently, you're the only one thats going to respond Smiley Wink And I'm sure you know, its because of inquiries. Thats the only reason, and I know that means I need to garden but my trigger finger just got away from me, and before I knew it the app was magically filled out! Smiley Surprised 

Do you have any experience with them?

Message 3 of 17
xxpert
Established Member

@logan_720 wrote:

Well apparently, you're the only one thats going to respond Smiley Wink And I'm sure you know, its because of inquiries. Thats the only reason, and I know that means I need to garden but my trigger finger just got away from me, and before I knew it the app was magically filled out! Smiley Surprised 

Time to change that sig
Wallet: Gold PRG/ Saphire Preffered 9k/ Amex SPG 4k / Amex Platinum/ Barclays US Air 14k/ Delta Gold 20k / Ink Bold/ Citi AA plat 10k

Drawer: US Bank Flexperks 12k/ Freedom 2k/ Citi dividend 2k/ Ink plus 6k
Message 4 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

It is hard to recon INQ's with Discover. That was one of their reasons for my denial in december. Only thing I ca nrecommend is do what I'm doing and garden for 6 months and reapp.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 17
logan_720
Established Contributor

@xxpert wrote:

@logan_720 wrote:

Time to change that sig

I would have to disagree. Compared to last year, I am gardening. Quite heavily. I'm planting pulling weeds like there is no tomorrow.

Message 6 of 17
logan_720
Established Contributor

Well I'll go ahead and give it a shot, I'll post back on the decision/success!

Message 7 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@logan_720 wrote:

Well I'll go ahead and give it a shot, I'll post back on the decision/success!

Fingers crossed for you!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 17
logan_720
Established Contributor

Ok, so here's an update:

I called the "supposed" back door number ((800)676- 3695) and talked to a very nice sounding CSR, I told her I had been basically due to, too many inquiries, and asked if the application be reconsidered, she told me that she had no authority to make that decision....And that I should be receiving a letter in the mail soon. Here's the think, I didn't have to verify anything, just my DOB and last name....Smiley Surprised

Message 9 of 17
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I had a successful recon with Discover. I waited until I got the letter giving me the reasons and then called the number in the letter....or the number on the back of my husband's Discover. I don't think I called a back door number.

I'm certain they thought I had too much in payments, and their mistake was exactly what I surmised it might be. We don't have a mortgage on our house, but we have a big HELOC. We also have a mortgage on a rental house. She said, "Well...it looks like you have 2 mortgages." When I explained the situation, she put me on hold, came back and told me I was approved. They hadn't been considering the rental income. I thanked them, and she asked me if I wanted to know how much I was approved for. I said sure. She said $11.8k.

So, my situation was very different than yours...but I did find them good to deal with.

Word of advice? Things get a lot easier out there when you let the inquiries die off. I know it's tempting to app, but the wait is worth it. I hadn't applied for anything in 2 years. Then I recently put in an app with Pen Fed. Got an instant online approval with a $13k limit. The cards and the higher limits will come if you let them think you don't need them.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.