New Contributor
jpparker07

Reconsideration Success! Two times and counting!

I have been working on building my credit for some time now since messing it up when I was 18 (back before banks got burned and gave 8000 dollars worth of credit to college students). I have had 2 crappy capital ones that I am stuck with to maintain credit history but I finally got my score high enough to get  AMEX Zync and Green charge cards. I have been monitoring my credit through multiple platforms and my FICOs which I can see (TU and EQ) are both 660. Not great, but not the best for great cards.

Anywho I decided to apply for a Discover More. I have racked up tons of points on my AMEX's but I do want cash back. Long story short I applied and got the classic "Further Review" decision. I have seen this many a time, but I have read on the boards to call. I didn't wait to get declined. Instead I called the number on the further review page and spoke with a nice lady. I informed her that I knew about my credit not being great and I went through each thing that was negative. IT HELPS TO KNOW YOUR REPORT LIKE THE BACK OF YOUR HAND. KNOW WHAT IS ON THERE AT ALL TIMES. I explained the medical charge offs from 2007 (2 paid 1 unpaid) and explained how I had worked on my credit for years. She understood,verified my employment, address, and income and put me on hold for about 2 minutes. She comes back explains I'm approved with a 3.25% and a 1000 cl. Hooray!! No HSBC crap a true Discover More card.

Three days later I apply for the Chase Freedom card. Same "Further review message". I call 1 888 270 2127. Now this time is different because I had credit consulting program help take care of my old chase amazon card from 2007. The woman informed me that I was declined due to the collections and charged off credit cards. I asked her to look at the dates and see the charge off was from 2007 and paid. She agreed. She verified a lot more info than the Discover lady and asked more questions about inquiries and things like that. I was able to explain all of them and explained my credit history and repair. She put me on hold for 4 minutes. Came back and I was approved! Smaller limit that discover but 0% for 15 months!! Yayy!! Any questions about the process just ask!

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Senior Contributor
youngandcreditwrthy

Re: Reconsideration Success! Two times and counting!

Congrats!!! I love speaking to actual people! They can help you :-)
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $12.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Arrival $12.7k | Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Valued Contributor
beb86

That's pretty awesome!!! Congrats and yeah I was once a dumb college student with WAYYYY to much credit and of course the inevitable happened haha. Its amazing what you can learn here and how you can use it to your advantage.

ccpics2.jpg
Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

jpparker07 wrote:

I have been working on building my credit for some time now since messing it up when I was 18 (back before banks got burned and gave 8000 dollars worth of credit to college students). I have had 2 crappy capital ones that I am stuck with to maintain credit history but I finally got my score high enough to get  AMEX Zync and Green charge cards. I have been monitoring my credit through multiple platforms and my FICOs which I can see (TU and EQ) are both 660. Not great, but not the best for great cards.

Anywho I decided to apply for a Discover More. I have racked up tons of points on my AMEX's but I do want cash back. Long story short I applied and got the classic "Further Review" decision. I have seen this many a time, but I have read on the boards to call. I didn't wait to get declined. Instead I called the number on the further review page and spoke with a nice lady. I informed her that I knew about my credit not being great and I went through each thing that was negative. IT HELPS TO KNOW YOUR REPORT LIKE THE BACK OF YOUR HAND. KNOW WHAT IS ON THERE AT ALL TIMES. I explained the medical charge offs from 2007 (2 paid 1 unpaid) and explained how I had worked on my credit for years. She understood,verified my employment, address, and income and put me on hold for about 2 minutes. She comes back explains I'm approved with a 3.25% and a 1000 cl. Hooray!! No HSBC crap a true Discover More card.

Three days later I apply for the Chase Freedom card. Same "Further review message". I call 1 888 270 2127. Now this time is different because I had credit consulting program help take care of my old chase amazon card from 2007. The woman informed me that I was declined due to the collections and charged off credit cards. I asked her to look at the dates and see the charge off was from 2007 and paid. She agreed. She verified a lot more info than the Discover lady and asked more questions about inquiries and things like that. I was able to explain all of them and explained my credit history and repair. She put me on hold for 4 minutes. Came back and I was approved! Smaller limit that discover but 0% for 15 months!! Yayy!! Any questions about the process just ask!

Congrats on your success with Discover... I love it when you are able to connect with a CSR and they can understand what you are telling them...  I'm sure you will love being in the Discover and Chase family!

Congrats!

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Epcot

That's great, Congrats!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 816 EX 780 TU 823
App free since 4/11/13
Frequent Contributor
wallyworld123

welcome to the forum! Awesome news!:smileyhappy:

Established Contributor
Cadillac-XTS

Congrats

Frequent Contributor
obageegee

Nice

Starting Score: 530 - 2/12
Current Score: EX - 720 EQ - 714 TU-690 WM-720
App free since 5/7/2014

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}