cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redeemed Barclay's- Closing it! Anyone else closing them??

tag
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Redeemed Barclay's- Closing it soon!

@wasCB14 wrote:

@CreditMagic7 wrote:

I know. Here is the irony of it though.

It wasn't a choice that would have even been remotely considered but they draw just too much bad press for my taste.

Even the credit line was acceptable to-a-point i suppose in spite of no CLI even for a HP.

For me it was just way too much drama or potential drama that experience points to as a real problem on Barclays end.

Adversely affected previous and current chopped cardholders with their respective shared stories from their own results left littered all over the internet in various forums, as well as this one reaches a point of no return. It was not always the most welcoming of experiences in this camp getting grilled each time calling in about why card A was opened and when or why card B was opened such and such (months ago) every time calling in.

I had one positive experience if it can be called that where a U/W overturned a denial (3rd call BTW) where the card was the Ring which they had to pull the whole line from another card (Rewards) just to open it.

If there was any real issue or potential issue brewing, one might have found it way more confident & comfortable coming from Chase, BofA, Citi etc reps advice rather than only Barclays, who always seem to have a gripe and frankly IMHO it's on their end where there's more reason for concern given what they been routinely known for (and for quite some time now)

So when would these topics come up? During calls to recon denials/SLs? Ask for SP CLIs or APR reductions? Or when you called on other matters?

Everyone's experience is different i understand.

To begin with, chances to land a first Barclaycard with Sallie Mae was a bust. Scores were iffy perhaps and profile thin but was already sporting Discover, Citi, Capital One, Chase etc. but then again 670 TU scores seemed the norm with their basic cards like NFL + Rewards MC but it was said the requirements were more strict on the Sallie. Useless HP so moved on.

A couple of months later, maybe 3 i held my breath while i wanted to try Sallie Mae again it dawned on me maybe Rewards MC would be the likely choice for approval this time.

THE COMPUTER DID NOT DISAPPOINT.

This was before Barclays pulled the preapproval page off the air for good. Instant Approval (first one BTW), while i had to recon ALL other previous lenders, but those were eventually overturned and subsequently approved.

Was in the door with Barclays finally and happily waiting for the best time to try Sallie Mae again, and that i did 6 months later but no joy and another HP wasted.

Called in several times to the backdoor route but the denial each time remained with the usual "we like to see more in how you handle this account first". Fair enough but boy the scrutiny came on long & strong about the previous cards that by then had already been well on their way with history plus approved CLI's to help them grow.

HP INQs needed for those always popped up in their questioning about now the number of recent INQ's. Ugh

Tried later that same month to place a request with a HP for a CLI for the Rewards with the APR reduction method and got the same heavy interrogation round of disapproval on the progress i enjoyed with their competitors and they were just NOT going to extend anymore credit "at this time" etc.

The next time it was exactly (1) year and they said "we see you have a STRONG payment history with us" however during the wait leading up to that request, opportunities turned up and so i turned to those in order to see to it my HP's at least yield positive results for a change which they did.

Sooo, after the Ring i went since i put Sallie Mae behind as a lost cause and wouldn't you just know it, flat out denial in spite of much better overall and individual limits on other cards (all of whom smoked Barclays SL) and better TU scores.

After 3 successive repeat calls for Recon with the Ring denial i gave a last try and FINALLY, someone who wasn't nit picking over my other cards etc.for every little this and that and this gentleman Approved The RING "BUT" demanded pulling the full Rewards MC limit and closing it to open the Ring Card. HP saved by the bell this time or rather my persistence in repeatedly bugging them on it.

You see there is not one single Lender in my whole card profile that had put up such a fuss in the manner that Barclay's did and eventually that needling every time calling in plus the Drama filling up the forums with AA coupled with the real RISK of them sending out the axe man on what little limit there was on the Ring after all i had already been through with them was the straw that broke the camels back and so the decision was made to just ProActively call them and close out the relationship and just be free from them once and for all.

Too much drama for my taste when other lenders are in high gear and pushing things along nice and smoothly with no fuss no fouls.

Message 31 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Redeemed Barclay's- Closing it! Anyone else closing them??

It's simple really.

Some of us just think the potential drama...aka CLD, Closure, denied purchases, raised APRs, hard pull CLIs, CSRs who don't understand you, and then they treat you like a low life when you call in to ask about it, etc... is not worth the TL when there are lots of other issuers that are amazing.

I only came to this conclusion after reading multiple other sites and came to realize this is a habit/pattern for Barclays. It's like it is fun for them or their computer program needs adjusting.

They don't care about working with customers or if their customers are happy with their products or services, unlike, let's say, companies like Discover, whom truly acts like a corporation who truly wants to retain and make their customers happy and want them to stay customers for life.

I could have kept mine open. I didn't want to. It wasn't worth it....TO ME. If it is for you; that's fine too. All I can do as a contributor to this site is give me experiences and opinions and then everyone else can make their own based on what I say and what everyone else says. So your opinion of keeping them and that they aren't that bad also help make up minds of those who this either might happen to or did happen to and they are looking for advice.

For those who do like them. Keep them. I wish you the best and hope it never happens to you. It feels like crap when it does.

It sucks to get punished for your hard work of raising your credit scores, cleaning up your reports, and practicing good credit patterns and habits while growing relationships with your creditors just to have them turn around and smack you in the face.
Message 32 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

BTW @Magic...brilliantly said as usual. Love your posts on this topic.
Message 33 of 35
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@BTW @Anonymous...brilliantly said as usual. Love your posts on this topic.

I sum things up like this about them. We're like a family of members in here all sharing to the best that we can on both the good (benefits, rewards, limits, customer care etc.) and also our less than expected or unexpected experiences in the hopes that we can pool our inputs to produce a greater output that might serve us all better in the short as well as long term in this journey.

Maybe that's another reason that over the course of many many months it started to also become a uniquely personal matter for me to have to see such sad disappointing posts again and again and again from members who put the best effort forward and not always in the best of circustances for them sometimes only to have Barclays swoop in and pull the rug right out from under them which also posed a potential domino effect to their other card obligations.

Sometimes i can't help but feel that bunch gets a rise out of knocking cardholders down just to make them sweat.

Sorry but that's exactly the impression it's made on me and in large part is driven my attention and card business to their competitors for good in addition to my own less than expected results from customer service to matters in-between which were already made quite clear.

Message 34 of 35
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

All excellent points. 

The fact that Barclays has there card holders guessing/walking on egg shells due to the possible threat of adverse action without a SPECIFIC, WELL DOCUMENTED policy does not help there cause with good intentioned customers.  

Point being, Chase is famous for there 5/24 rule. This rule, while annoying for many, is very well documented. Pretty much all forum members with some experience on these boards are well aware of its implications, and know what must be done in order to qualify. 

The opposite is true of Barclays. The specific rule is non existent and remains a mystery to most forum members.

Until Barclays REALLY puts out an excellent program like Chase with there UR points to transfer partners, they will remain as an after thought with most forum members.

Despite the idiosyncrasies involved with Chase 5/24, they remain a coveted program. One which a lot of forum members strive to achieve, despite the "inconvenience" of having to become 5/24 compliant. 

Barclays lack luster rewards cards coupled with There idiosyncratic behavior simply does not make them an enticing match for most "upwardly mobile" card holders.

Peace to all!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 35 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.