I prefer reallocation to CLD
Message 21 of 23
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Reduce Chase Limit for a new card

@lexrjSD wrote:

@nmac wrote:

@lexrjSD wrote:

I just got 2 Chase biz cards Southwest (28K) and Ink (5K) and want to app for the Southwest personal card in 30 days and I also already have the CSP (15K). I plan to close the Southwest Biz once I get the 50K bonus so I was wondering if I should reduce my Southwest Biz limit so I have a better chance of approval since I'm going to close it anyways.

You might want to tread cautiously with this plan. I read of flyertalk (although I can't find the link at the moment) that chase can claw-back the bonus if you close account less the 6 months from opening it. 

Clawback even if it's already in my Rapid Rewards account?

I think that's why they call it a clawback: It's already somewhere else. These are co-branded CC so there is still a link between the card and the FF program.

You haven't opened the second account nor closed the first yet, right?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 22 of 23
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Reduce Chase Limit for a new card

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Trivolve wrote:

Don't EVER volunteer to reduce your limit on your chase cards. From what I read in some old threads, if you ask to reduce your CL, they will put a note on your file and you will never ever get any CLI again.

While that might be true, it sort of doesn't make sense.   The people who do this (Open123 for example) aren't interested in CLIs, they want sign up bonuses.     Obviously if CLIs are your goal, doing a voluntary CLD would be a step in the wrong direction.

Right, the strategy you adopt should be determined entirely on what stage you are in your credit history and your goals.

If your goal is to carry a larger balance with low or promo rates, then don't request CLDs and apply for too many new cards.  In this case, the object should be to reduce HPs, have a stable CR history, and increase your aggregate and average CLs to carry your balance.

Conversely, if the goal is to reap and harvest sign-up bonuses, the goal would be auto approval to reduce manual reviews of your CRAs, since they'll invariably contain a higher number of HPs, new accounts opened and closed, and general credit seeking behavior associated with higher risk profiles.  In this case, by keeping aggregate CLs low and spreading HPs prudently amongst the 3 CRAs, you can often get an auto-approval, even for multiple cards for the same lender.

In general, issuers tend to tolerate credit seeking behavior (3 or 4 cards per quarter purely for bonuses) when your aggregate CLs are lower (below your income), Utility is less than 5% - 10% with PIF, and when there's virtually no default risk.  However, when aggregage CLs exceed 2X or 3X income, Utility approaches 30% - 50%, issuers are extremely nervous when they notice any kind of activity (HPs & new accounts).

So, with Chase, if your goal is to increase CLs for utility reasons to carry a balance, don't ever request a CLD from them, since unlike some lenders, it'll require a HP and review to get them back.  On the other hand, if you just want to cycle their great bonuses, then CLD to reduce your exposure below their internal aggregate limits will only benefit and make for a smoother card harvesting experience.

Good luck!

*Edited*  PS - From experience, as least in years past, once you request a CLD from Chase, they may make a notation that you don't require high levels of CL, which may make it more difficult to request CLIs in the near future.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.