Valued Contributor

Re: Reducing credit cards, a new adventure

Meh only 24 cards for someone u caliber...c'mon m8 

Message 11 of 172
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Im making this post in hopes that i can follow what ive decided to do on this next phase on my Credit journey. Where it remains , i no clue but its been a rough month on the credit seas and in life in general but ive decided to set my Credit Resolution for 2018 now. Reducing my credit card collection amongst other goals.

Coming from very humble economic means ive come along way in my 2 years of building back from my bankruptcy of 10 years ago. Sometimes the constant rejections and reasonings , even with good credit scores can be downright depressing but ive decided to look at my failures as a means to take the bulls by the horns and start attacking what i can control. My goals for 2018:
1) Reduce all credit card debt to zero
2) pay off personal loan
3) reduce credit cards of 24 to maybe 3-5 by 2019
4) no longer request credit limit increases
5)eliminate all hps from reports

This game can be great but it can take as much as it gives. So as of 9 Nov 17, i have closed the following cardsSmiley Happy

1) Chase Amazon Visa ( will never grow and a money bank)
2) Penfed Promise ( will never grow and income not sufficient for Pf growth)

Next up on block.....Discover, once i get my cashback, smashing hurts , no luv, im just gonna move on. Ill update this thread as i continue to slash. I hope it stays here in CC but if a mod moves it could you kindly let me know where it was moved so i can track my new journey. Thank youSmiley Happy

Wow! That is amazing!

Message 12 of 172
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Good work, Joseph!

You have closed two prime cards; did you have any feeling of regret after closing them? When I closed my 16 year-old Kohl's card this year it hurt bad LOL. But that went away after a few days.

I too need to trim the herd...on Sunday I picked up my "dream" card, the USAA Limitless...they gave me $2,500....this is a sign that for my income, I have way too much available credit (over $200K). I totally need to drop my worthless PenFed Promise card too. You doing it first has given me resolve to do the same...soon Smiley Wink 

Keep us posted on your progress! 

Honestly, i dont feel a thing. I truely wish they werent prime credit cards and more so store cards, which ill get to eventually its just if i dont pull the bandaid now, would i ever?.  These are 2 lenders who i know will never open up to me. Ive read enough here to know what they look for and to whom they cater so id rather just focus my energy elsewhere than be bitter everytime i look at my card  lol. 

RadioRob, you can glady have my $1500 Amazon limit, may it bring you many holiday tidingsSmiley Wink

Peghede, thanks m8, honestly i didnt mind tracking 24 accounts but when you hit that wall. You gotta bounce around it somehow. 

Message 13 of 172
peghede
Valued Contributor

are those 24 cards all Synchrony R.I.P Smiley Surprised

if yes here something to put them in

blue-envelope_1101-752

Message 14 of 172
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'll definitely sub to this thread. I'm interested on the cards you decide to keep and why lol

Message 15 of 172
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'll definitely sub to this thread. I'm interested on the cards you decide to keep and why lol

Ditto..

You know what card im tempted to do that with.. Amazon Chase Visa... But id like to swap something in its place..

Completely understand ditching Chase .... also Penfed and yes... the bittersweet relaationship with Miss Discover.. 

Really thought she'd warm up to you over time... 

Culling down your store cards might have made traction with these stubborn creditors but if you dont feel wanted, you should show them the door...

Remember you can always reapp in a year or two...if you change your mind

Message 16 of 172
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@peghede wrote:

are those 24 cards all Synchrony R.I.P Smiley Surprised

if yes here something to put them in

blue-envelope_1101-752

In due time my dear peghedatsonSmiley Wink. All good things end eventually, who knows maybe they send one before i ever get the chance lolSmiley Wink

Message 17 of 172
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I really hope you give Sync the blue envelope before they decide to get wierd.... You should be in control of the situation not them.

Message 18 of 172
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol, thanks its definetly going to be an adventure. For me to willingly give up credit its hard but i never know that perhaps one day those lenders who i decide to keep may just reward me more for actually using moreSmiley Wink

Message 19 of 172
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ditto..

You know what card im tempted to do that with.. Amazon Chase Visa... But id like to swap something in its place..

Completely understand ditching Chase .... also Penfed and yes... the bittersweet relaationship with Miss Discover.. 

Really thought she'd warm up to you over time... 

Culling down your store cards might have made traction with these stubborn creditors but if you dont feel wanted, you should show them the door...

Remember you can always reapp in a year or two...if you change your mind

Thank you Jolt, i always respect your guidance here and you were words ring truth yet again. Theres so many things to consider when considering closing cards. But really at the end of day, when you have a limited spend, so many credit cards just means watering down any rewards being able to be earned and  i think i will be able to implament better apping strategy in the future.

Message 20 of 172
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.