Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding CL for the Walmart Synchrony master card

tag
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Regarding CL for the Walmart Synchrony master card

I was recently approved for a Walmart Synchrony master card (~800$ CL). Afterward, I read hundreds of complains by several users that messed up the credit scores of the customers.

I cannot verify complains or comments because I have not used the credit card but since my credit age is a bit young (<4y), I need to keep my credit score healthy. Please inform the best suggestion for this credit card that has not activated yet. Some suggestions:

1. Cancel it before activation (this account is alreay reported on my credit reports).
  2. Do not activate. Let it to be closed after a few months (does it damage credit score? How long does it take for the credit score to heal?).
  3. Activate it. Don’t use it and let it to be closed after a few months.
  4. Request a CL decrease to a very small value such as ~30$ to minimize possible un-authorizated payment damages. Use it for ~2$ monthly purchases to keep it active and pay in time. Monitor all the time the CL level, on-time reports to credit bureaus and all the possible aspects. If something goes wrong, pay it full and cancel it.
  5. Use it normally below ~20$ each month and pay it full each month. Monitor it regularly and if something goes wrong within a month and cannot be solved, cancel the card.
  6. Other suggestions are welcome.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
10 REPLIES 10
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Regarding CL for the Walmart Synchrony master card

Welcome to myFICO.

The damage is done if you already have the account reporting.

I would not worry about all of the complaints. I have several Synchrony accounts and they have treated me well.

I would recommend keeping the card. Charge a bit to it and pay it off as soon as the charge posts. With time and usage the line should grow.

Message 2 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Hundreds of complaints vs thousands of satisfied card holders. Hmm, Wally MC is good in that you can use anywhere, its Sync so it can grow big time. Just use it and pay, and good things will happen .for everybad story out there, there will be like 10 good ones. You can probably find any csrd and they will have negative but if you use the car as intended more likely than not it will hrlp your profile growSmiley Wink
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would not worry much. Many of us in fico land have Synchrony cards and love them.

I think the Walmart MasterCard has $0 fraud liability. Which is a big plus in case of fraud.

Edit: Synchrony is pretty good at monitoring for fraud, I know I get texts asking me to verify a purchase if it is out of my normal spend.. This is with my Marvel Card though.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
Hundreds of complaints vs thousands of satisfied card holders. Hmm, Wally MC is good in that you can use anywhere, its Sync so it can grow big time. Just use it and pay, and good things will happen .for everybad story out there, there will be like 10 good ones. You can probably find any csrd and they will have negative but if you use the car as intended more likely than not it will hrlp your profile growSmiley Wink

+1 Smiley Wink 

Message 5 of 11
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

IMHO, most of the issues stemming from Sync cards come from operator error.   Sync cards report rapidly, so I suggest keeping it open and using as intended.   Sync CLs are very good at growth, so don't worry about your CL for now...it will happen with responsible use.  

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 6 of 11
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

The card seems to be working properly and it is reporting properly to the credit bureaus. The payments should be done via the Walmart website platform instead of Synchrony and I think it is a good point. I would use it actively and carefully.

I previously had a Synchrony Amazon store card that the bank closed it without prior warning (sometimes, it was not straightforward to do the online payments properly, I never understood whether it is a problem of Synchrnony bank or my associated bank account for the payments, this was ~2-3 years ago but not recently). So, the bank closed it after a few months and without any negative remarks in the credit reports (ontime payments and never delayed).

BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 7 of 11
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

Lol. The card was declined right in the first use at Walmart store and therefore, I could not use the signup bonus. The Walmart payment in the store required PIN code but not signature. This should be the case for Debit but not credit cards and I have not seen it in the past 10 years in various countries. I have not set its PIN before or I forgot it and therefore, it did not work. After spending half an hour with two Walmart agents, finaly I decided to pay with my AMEX card.

The card works fine in restaurants like other cards and it seems that it only does not work properly in Walmart stores.

Also, for every basic matters like address change, it is needed to contact the customer service by phone. This is my 4th time that I need to spend lots of time to call the customer service for various matters associted to this credit card. This was not the case for any other credit cards.

I decided to use my other cards in Walmart and even pay by cash instead of using this card. Anyway, I use it just to be active for small online or shop payments one time per month and I think, if this card can handle this basic work (<5$ per month), it is much appreciated.

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

DW has a Sams card but not Walmart. We use it mainly to get quick cash out in a hurry at Walmart. Never had a problem. CL is currently $10K.   

Message 9 of 11
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

AMEX does not recognize Walmart as a grocery store (1% cashback). Chase freedom unlimited might be a good one to shop from Walmart (1.5%) or other cards yielding 2% cashback.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.