Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regarding how to best use my new Amex Gold card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regarding how to best use my new Amex Gold card

So, I have been fortunate to see quite a few boosts in my scores VERY much in thanks to all the posts on here. Big thanks to all of you who contribute your knowledge to this forum, it has been so useful for me.

I know fairly well how to use my Costco AMEX but I now have a Gold charge card and am curious as to how I should use this one.

The rep at Amex told me that my current limit is $2,500 but that there is technically no pre-set limit. In order to increase that limit but also maximize my FICO score gain, how should I use this card? I have seen many people I know use it everyday for all purchases really but, I'm unsure how I should approach this.

Any tips or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Regarding how to best use my new Amex Gold card

Since you have to pay in full each month obviously only put as much through it as you are able to pay off. If your goal is increasing your internal spending limit on your Gold Card you need to push some serious spending through. The closer you can get monthly spending to your current internal spending limit will drive it higher since you'll be demonstrating that your spending ability is higher than they originally allotted for. Be careful if you are planning on applying for another AMEX while doing this, even though it is required to quickly increase your internal spending limit, it will also temporarily raise your internal risk score with them.

I push tens of thousands through my Business Rewards Gold each month and the internal limit keeps getting raised. I assume it is about topped out now, but I still direct most of my business spending through it anyway. 

Message 2 of 11
red259
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So, I have been fortunate to see quite a few boosts in my scores VERY much in thanks to all the posts on here. Big thanks to all of you who contribute your knowledge to this forum, it has been so useful for me.

I know fairly well how to use my Costco AMEX but I now have a Gold charge card and am curious as to how I should use this one.

The rep at Amex told me that my current limit is $2,500 but that there is technically no pre-set limit. In order to increase that limit but also maximize my FICO score gain, how should I use this card? I have seen many people I know use it everyday for all purchases really but, I'm unsure how I should approach this.

You use it for what you need. Its a charge card. There really isn't any sort of trick with this. They bill you and then you have to PIF each cycle. The more you use it the more credit they will free up to you on a charge card, but this won't do anything with your credit score. The only thing you need to worry about is PIF by due date. Other than that use it as little or as much as you want. I do not think the balance reported on a charge card counts towards your overall util (I could be wrong on this), so you can kind of use this to manage your util instead of revolvers where you need to pay before the statement cuts. Why did you get a charge card when you already had an amex revolver? Did you want the signup offer? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok that makes sense.

And, the reason I got the charge card is because the Amex revolver is the only credit card I have and have ever had (I'm 24). I have a $500 CL on it and have it just to raise my credit score. I have a 15% utilization on it on average and PIF when every statement comes.
There was no signup offer for the charge card, I got it because I want that to be my daily go-to card so I can earn MR points on the things I buy anyway and use it toward a vacation, statement credits (basically free money) and whatever else.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok that makes sense.

And, the reason I got the charge card is because the Amex revolver is the only credit card I have and have ever had (I'm 24). I have a $500 CL on it and have it just to raise my credit score. I have a 15% utilization on it on average and PIF when every statement comes.
There was no signup offer for the charge card, I got it because I want that to be my daily go-to card so I can earn MR points on the things I buy anyway and use it toward a vacation, statement credits (basically free money) and whatever else.

Well smart move on beginning to collect MR Points. Just a word of advice, if you have any plans of traveling at all do not use your MR Points towards statement credits. It is a poor financial use of the points. The value is often even less than 1 cent per MR point. It is always best to transfer your MR points to different travel partners to pay for flights or hotels. You can read up on it while you are accruing your points over the next few months. Just google "American Express points transfer" or something to that end and you will receive a wealth of information. You are far ahead of your peers at the age of 24 and I commend you. Stick around myFICO and keep learning!

Message 5 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Ok that makes sense.

Don't be afraid to run that card to $495 balance, as long as you are within the CL AMEX will be very happy with your usage. PIF by statement due date is a good way to go, or you can pay more frequently if you have the means and want to run more spend through it. I used my Delta AMEX card up to nearly the $2,000 limit while PIF and AMEX boosted the CL with an automatic CLI to $3,000 without my asking.

Do a search here about the AMEX 3X CLI. That is available after 61+ days since the card was opened, and there are certain timing and amounts to watch. There is an entire ongoing thread explaining and discussing the 3X CLI. You can request a CLI with a SP, it rocks.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for that heads up! When I said "statement credits and everything else" I was using it as an example. You're absolutely right, I have read on here and other forums that using MR points toward that is a waste. Really, what I want to do I have it pay for some of my vacation in the coming months because I've seen that that and air travel nets the best value point for point.

Thank you again for your knowledge! I will pass it on.
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for that heads up! When I said "statement credits and everything else" I was using it as an example. You're absolutely right, I have read on here and other forums that using MR points toward that is a waste. Really, what I want to do I have it pay for some of my vacation in the coming months because I've seen that that and air travel nets the best value point for point.

Thank you again for your knowledge! I will pass it on.

I did notice that in your post, I was only adding it for clarification purposes. I would hate to hear that you used MR Points to cover $150 purchase when you could have used the points to stay in a $290/night hotel room. Happy travels. 

Message 8 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Is it a regular gold, or premier rewards gold? 

If it's a regular gold, then dont use it an get the everyday or everyday preferred card, because the regular gold card is just a green charge in a different color with a more expensive AF. Smiley Tongue Seriously though. 

If it's a PRG use it for the bonus categories. Smiley Very Happy 

Getting 1 point per dollar, even with how valuable some people find MR points to be, is a pretty standard return, nothing exceptional. 

That is how to use it in terms of rewards Smiley Tongue 

In terms of actual credit usage, run as much through it as you care to, it doesn't count towards utilization. Just make sure you got enough to pay it off (in full) every month. 

Congrats on the approval though. Smiley Tongue 

Message 9 of 11
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Did the rep say this is a hard limit for you or just what it would be approved for at this time?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.