Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regions Credit Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Regions Credit Card

Hello,

I currently have a Region's bank credit card and I was wanting to get a credit limit increase because the limit currently is $2,000.. I have had the card for roughly 2 years with no missed payments and I rarely carry a balance on this card. About a year ago I got a Discover IT card with a $6,500 limit. My question is, If I request a credit limit increase online, what sort of increase should I ask for? If I ask for too much will they just decline the credit limit increase or will they counter at a lower credit limit increase than what I asked for?

In addition,

I am currently looking for a house and was approved 3 months ago for a mortgage but unfortunately the seller's backed out of the contract leaving me back at square one. Should I wait to ask for a credit limit increase until after I purchase a home?

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Regions Credit Card

How does your Trans Union report look? They primarily pull that one.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't pulled it in awhile.... When I applied for the Mortgage my Equifax was 735, my Discover card shows me around 760 for transunion (how accurate that is, I don't know?)

I have student loans all paid good but have only been paying on them for one year so I owe basically what I borrowed still yet..

4 credit cards totaling 11,500 limit with a balance around 200 as of right now (paid off all my christmas shopping a few days ago)

Scott Credit Union auto loan with 6600 balance originally borrowed 11,100 2 years ago come March

secured $2000 regions loan from 3 years ago

Never missed a single payment, all accounts in good standing.

Message 3 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I am currently looking for a house and was approved 3 months ago for a mortgage but unfortunately the seller's backed out of the contract leaving me back at square one. Should I wait to ask for a credit limit increase until after I purchase a home?

Do you know if it is a HP?  Is so, and you think you will apply for a mortgage again soon, and there isn't a dire need for a CLI, I would wait, as any inquiry adds noise to the process

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's what I was thinking.. Unfortunately I am sure it is a hard pull. Regions is terrible about not giving out complimentary CLI...

I may wait until I get a mortgage and do a little credit card shopping at that time, Any good recommendations for CC's that have good rewards and that are generous with credit limits? I have thought about getting an American Airlines aadvantage card because I frequently fly American Airlines when I travel out of the states for vacation.. Wasn't sure if those airline miles credit cards were worth it though?

Message 5 of 10
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's what I was thinking.. Unfortunately I am sure it is a hard pull. Regions is terrible about not giving out complimentary CLI...

I may wait until I get a mortgage and do a little credit card shopping at that time, Any good recommendations for CC's that have good rewards and that are generous with credit limits? I have thought about getting an American Airlines aadvantage card because I frequently fly American Airlines when I travel out of the states for vacation.. Wasn't sure if those airline miles credit cards were worth it though?

Having been through the mortgage process (successfully) four times over the years and having been in real estate a while back, my advice is to reach out to your mortgage person and ask their advice... they will know your profile, and will know what impact (if any) a CLI request might have.  Also, that's what they are there for.  Smiley Wink

Depending on your profile it might even be advisable to get a CLI (i.e. would actually help); during one of mortgage preps I was explicitly told by my mortgage broker to seek out CLIs from my credit cards since having lower utilization would help me more than the added inquiry would hurt (and she was the one explaining the HPs on my behalf, anyway).  This wasn't an anomaly; I saw it with others as well.

When you're as close to a purchase as you are the last thing you need is to so something off-handed to throw a wrench into the process.  Keep in mind that the mortgage person is on your side; usually they are on commission, so their payday depends on your loan working out - they really want your loan to go through, and they can provide valuable guidance.  Smiley Wink

Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it!

Message 7 of 10
tussking
Established Contributor

I have been with Regions forever...I know my branch manager and assistant very well. 

FYI : They have the tightest lending criteria of all the mid-sized banks. I have discussed credit at length with both of them and you better have 700+ and perfect credit.

They don't give out big CLI's either very conservative.

Go sign up with NFCU or PenFed and get a real credit card !

Discharged BK7 - 7.16.15
Current Fico8 - (8.2022) EX - 744/EQ - 728/TU - 740
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I worked there for 3 years. Yes it will be a hard pull. Yes they will pull your transunion bank card 8 score. If I had to guess they will give you an increase. They are pretty conservative, but with a good history with them and no baddies, you should be fine.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes I had region credit card for 10 years if you have made all payments on time and no baddies you will get the CLI but you have to tell them the amount you want and see if you will get approve for it be careful because the do not counter what you request is what they go off of with a yes or no
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.