Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regret a hard pull?

tag
MaRain
Regular Contributor

Re: Regret a hard pull?

I regret apping for Amex Delta, BarclayCard Rewards and Citi Simplicity since I was denied for each, haha.

On the bright side, I was approved for Discover It, Chase Freedom, GE PayPal MC, Bill Me Later and already had a Cap 1 card. 

Back in the garden until 10/2015.

Starting Score: EQ 714, EX 658, TU 691 (pulled by mortgage lender on 10/7/14)
Current Score: EQ 656, EX 660, TU 660 (FAKOS pulled on 3/26/15)
Goal Score: EQ 760, EX 700, TU 760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 11 of 38
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Terrified of HPs? No way. The affect is only temporary. I have 37 HPs on EX. 26 on TU and 12 on EQ. Lenders LOVE my EX report. Haha.  Last HP July 2013 Smiley Happy

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 12 of 38
hutchj
Frequent Contributor

I app'd for the Amazon store card during a spree and then immediately closed it because I had  heard a few horror stories about how payments weren't posting and it was causing late payment issues. So I really regret that HP because it was a waste of an HP, but it should stop hurting my score this Sept.

AMEX BCE: 5k; Barclay Apple: 2.5k; BoA CB: 3k; BoA BBR 4.2k; BoA Travel: 8k; Chase Sapphire: 5k; Chase Freedom: 6k; Citi Diamond: 3k; Discover IT: 9k

June 2013 FICOs: TU: 763; EX: 754; EQ: 764 (was 747 9/2012). Last app 2/20/2014 Garden until 3/2015
Message 13 of 38
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

My only regret about having a high number of hard pulls and new accounts is that it makes my auto insurance score go down, making my insurance cost more. That's what really put me back into gardening.

Message 14 of 38
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

^You could have kept is open and not used it Smiley Happy I still have mine. I just don't use it. I don't like that they don't send you a card so I don't know my account number to pay the bill if ever charged.

Message 15 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

^You could have kept is open and not used it Smiley Happy I still have mine. I just don't use it. I don't like that they don't send you a card so I don't know my account number to pay the bill if ever charged.

One of my banks DID stop sending me a card (they sent a letter saying that they weren't going to).  I assumed they would close the account but no.  Every now and then they send me convenience checks.   It was opened in 1989, and amazed me by giving 1% on all purchases, which was very unusual then.   Now, not so valuable.

Message 16 of 38
Bay_Area_Joe
Frequent Contributor

I only regret the HP's on my EX as that is what most prime CC's use.

If I had only know of MyFico Forums back then(2 years ago).  Just did not understand how everything works.  I wasted many HP's by just not being informed.

TU and EQ are really not an issue based on my geographic location.  It seems Amex, Citi, and Chase all use EX out west.

Now with more knowledge I understand.

But, where I am right now with all my CC's, my biggest regret to all my accounts is the AAoA being dragged down.

I reserve all future EX HP's to Amex, due to backdating advantage.

What I have also learned is I pretty much have maxed out all my CL's based on my income.

So, really nothing but time will help.

This forum is the BEST.......

About 600k in Credit Lines
CSP 29.9k, Citi DP 58.5k, Chase Sams MC 20k, Amex Hilton Surpass 35.6k, Hawaii Air 26k, Discover More 56k, Chase SWA 3.5k, WF PLOC 30k, B of A Visa 63.3k, Wells Plat Visa 8.3k, RC Willey 5k, Pen Fed Visa 50k, Pen Fed PLOC 25k, Lowes 25k, CSR 28.8k
Message 17 of 38
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Guyatthebeach wrote:

Yes I have regrets about all the hard pulls I have done this year. I was back in the garden as of August 1st and plan on staying there for a long time.

I have decided I'm not asking for a CLI due to the hard pulls. If the CC companies want to do soft pull for CLI's, I'm fine with that.

Right, just depends on your goals.  For those with "enough" CL (and so CLIs are just for "Mine is bigger than yours" type stuff) it makes more sense to use HPs to get cards with sign-up bonuses.   And while soft-CLIs are possible with many lenders, you don't really get new cards via SP, so reserving HP for those is a good strategy.

+1

Never had an HP that I regretted.

Message 18 of 38
koalablue
Frequent Contributor

I regret the two HPs I have for Citi - one last year and one this year - because they denied me for their cards.  I hate wasting HPs, but it was my choice to apply.

Message 19 of 38
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@koalablue wrote:

I regret the two HPs I have for Citi - one last year and one this year - because they denied me for their cards.  I hate wasting HPs, but it was my choice to apply.

Most of my HPs are from Citi and I always get denied! I have excellent credit and no collections. I don't know what kind of scoring scale they use but I see people with collections and judgments getting approved all the time!

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.