Regretting AMEX ...

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Regretting AMEX ...

@scottwagnon wrote:

@Omri wrote:

Dang, that's nice. Like, really nice.

everyone should have an amex bank/charge card. having the ability to spike your AAOA with a totally new card in addition opting to open more without the risk of a hard pull is a fantastic advantage.

the main disadvantage to an amex card is the risk of FR and you cant get too relaxed about revolving a large balance. i am happy to have two and i am done with applying for any more amex cards.

What's bad about a FR apart from possibly having your Amex accounts closed? 

Message 11 of 26
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

@Omri wrote:

everyone should have an amex bank/charge card. having the ability to spike your AAOA with a totally new card in addition opting to open more without the risk of a hard pull is a fantastic advantage.

the main disadvantage to an amex card is the risk of FR and you cant get too relaxed about revolving a large balance. i am happy to have two and i am done with applying for any more amex cards.

FR Shemmeffrrrr-d!   Always brought up but really % wise, not a big part of Amex day in a life.  I was FR'd when I first got my Amex Zync.  If you don't lie on your app then you are good to go.  What I didn't like was how I was informed of it.    Amex perks:  backdating/SP for new accounts if denied/ ridiculous high internal liimits not afforded to revolvers/ no hit to utility on FICO to allow it to report to CRAs/ purchase protection better then most other CCs/ roadside assist/ guaranteed room hold/ MR rewards/ Etc.....  The list goes on.  This come with the basic charge card.  Some of the perks listed are only afforded to Plat or above cards of other lenders. 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 12 of 26
RonDawg
Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

@Omri wrote:

an FR is not a good thing, They tag your accounts and even if you provide the info they request you may not get to the point you were before the FR.

To avoid those its best not to get too greedy with CRI requests and off the wall large charges.

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 13 of 26
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@eviLution wrote:

One man's trash is another man's treasure. I'll trade you my very useful Capital One Secured for your pointless Amex Charge card? Cat LOL

Even better I trade my Credit One for your charge cards.........

Actually they came with many benefit that we didn't recognize like

Roadside assistance. Purchase protection, travel protection and etc.......many cards like capital one, credit one never had such thing. They CS very pro and quick. 

I bought some stuff during Black Friday using my Green Card and realize its not what I want. Sears charge me 110 restociking fees. I claim to Amex and they work harto and quick to refund the money within 5 days. I love Amex man.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 14 of 26
RonDawg
Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

@scottwagnon wrote:

@Omri wrote:

FR Shemmeffrrrr-d!   Always brought up but really % wise, not a big part of Amex day in a life.  I was FR'd when I first got my Amex Zync.  If you don't lie on your app then you are good to go.  What I didn't like was how I was informed of it.    Amex perks:  backdating/SP for new accounts if denied/ ridiculous high internal liimits not afforded to revolvers/ no hit to utility on FICO to allow it to report to CRAs/ purchase protection better then most other CCs/ roadside assist/ guaranteed room hold/ MR rewards/ Etc.....  The list goes on.  This come with the basic charge card.  Some of the perks listed are only afforded to Plat or above cards of other lenders. 

Yeah I know about the about the high limits.  Hell my PRG will let me charge 50k and I only purchase snacks with it lol

AMEX Platinum, AMEX Blue cash (10k), AMEX Delta (10k), US Bank Premier Line (14.5k), US Bank Cash + (7.5k), Chase Freedom (5k), Fred Meyer Rewards Visa (7.5k), US Bank Flex Perks Travel Rewards (5k), Discover IT (9.5k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (8k), Alerus Financial Visa Signature issued by Elan (10k), BofA Cash Rewards (10k), Citi Thankyou Pref (6.5k) TU FICO Score = 807, EQ FICO Score = 780, EX FICO Score = 780,
CreditKarma score = 785, CreditSesame score = 773, Vantage = 903
Message 15 of 26
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

@RonDawg wrote:

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Yeah I know about the about the high limits.  Hell my PRG will let me charge 50k and I only purchase snacks with it lol

Nice!!!!  I love this forum!!  lol.  That's a LOT of snacks!!  Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 16 of 26
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Another benefit to AMEX membership is the ability to get concert tickets BEFORE they go on sale to the general public. 

For example, Fleetwood Mac just announced a new tour.  Apparently there's a tie in with either TicketMaster or AMEX direct, but one of the perks of AMEX membership is being able to purchase "preferred seating pre-sale tickets", meaning that before they go on sale to the public next week, I'll have a chance to get good seats,and with a discount using a special AMEX discount code !! 

To me, that's definitely a perk!!

Message 17 of 26
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Despite having just having recieved my 6 year backdated Amex Delta Gold, I've already SD it (after meeting the $500 spend for 30k miles), as I prefer to use my Zync and the lack of util% impact it has, unlike that of most revolvers.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 18 of 26
Brandnick
New Contributor

How interesting

Having a Credit cards is like a restaurant

a perfect example of  an American Express card is going to the best restaurant in town where you eat matsutake mushrooms($1000 per lbs) or wagyu steak ($2800 per) vs a capital one which is like going to Denny's. 

Some people prefer expensive eating while some people don't as It all depends on what best fits you. In this case you might have just picked the wrong restaurant to eat at. So don't complain about the restaurant I would prefer you to say that the restaurant was not for you. 

Current Score: 771 - 11/21/2012/ Amex Pull
Late Payment: 0 / Collections: 0
AAOA: 6.3 Years

"My Scores Yesterday or Last week or even Last month has no value when applying for credit today. The value is not in my score but the information in my credit file. Once the information is good the score will follow"
Message 19 of 26
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

Actually they came with many benefit that we didn't recognize like

Roadside assistance. Purchase protection, travel protection and etc.......many cards like capital one, credit one never had such thing. They CS very pro and quick.

Capital One does offer those things. I do not know what card you have, but they do offer those on Visa Signature and World Mastercards.

@thom02099 wrote:

Another benefit to AMEX membership is the ability to get concert tickets BEFORE they go on sale to the general public. 

Citi and Chase have this as well. Some Visa Signature cards also give access to presale tickets; I do not know about World Mastercard because the website is very vague.

Anyway, I do not fancy charge cards either, mostly because I am against annual fees. I always pay before the statement closes so utilisation is not of importance. I reckon on a manual review a balance of $10000 will still draw questions from an analyst.

The financial reviews are ridiculous. I charge about one thousand dollars on a card and all of a sudden they shut it down. The first few purchases I made with PNC were 5000 and they have not said a word; same with Chase.

I am sure American Express is the most important thing in the world to some people, but for me they are only good for 3% off groceries and 5% off office things, telephone bills, and Federal Express.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.